Jones1rocks

I'm at a loss here.  This is perhaps the most unusual of the Mazon fossils that I have come across, and I don't recall seeing anything quite like it in the photographs posted here, but I could have missed something.  This is from an old collection of Mazon pieces, and, for an unknown reason,  is one of the few that has a lacquered or sealed surface.  The concretion, as an intact nodule, measures 2-3/4" x 2-1/2", and the fossil inside is roughly 2-1/2" in length. Any ideas?

~Paul

DSC_1726.JPG

DSC_1724.JPG

DSC_1723.JPG

Shark egg case!?! It resembles the illustration in the ESCONI Mason Creek ID book.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I would also guess Palaeoxyris. Might be P. prendeli Lesquereux, 1870 (or P. helicteroides Morris?).

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Yes, I agree with the Paleoxyris ID too, although identifying the species is beyond my knowledge.

I agree with everyone else- here is one of mine for comparison without lacquer. Some old time collectors were known to coat there finds in lacquer to preserve them, not knowing that it was really damaging the fossil.

IMG_5480.thumb.JPG.5957be33b589bf8e706602ce008c9b70.JPG

3 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I agree with everyone else- here is one of mine for comparison without lacquer. Some old time collectors were known to coat there finds in lacquer to preserve them, not knowing that it was really damaging the fossil.

IMG_5480.thumb.JPG.5957be33b589bf8e706602ce008c9b70.JPG

I fear this guy used Elmers (white glue) - lacquer would be (almost) fine (Paraloid would be reworkable). Elmers is great for gluing wooden parts, but it is not when used as a coating. As you can see in the second photo, a coating with Elmers tends to get whitish and picks up a lot of dirt with time.

BTW, very nice Palaeoxyris carbonaria Schimper, 1830  (= P. appendiculata Lesquereux, 1870).

Wall Chart - Adhesives and Consolidants - Kopie.pdf

Davidson_and_Brown_2012_Paraloid_B-72-_Practical_tips_for_the_vertebrate_fossil_preparator - Kopie.pdf

Might be interesting:   Chondrichthyan egg capsule card.pdf

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

34 minutes ago, oilshale said:

I fear this guy used Elmers (white glue) - lacquer would be (almost) fine (Paraloid would be reworkable). Elmers is great for gluing wooden parts, but it is not when used as a coating. As you can see in the second photo, a coating with Elmers tends to get whitish and picks up a lot of dirt with time.

BTW, very nice Palaeoxyris carbonaria Schimper, 1830  (= P. appendiculata Lesquereux, 1870).

Wall Chart - Adhesives and Consolidants - Kopie.pdf

Davidson_and_Brown_2012_Paraloid_B-72-_Practical_tips_for_the_vertebrate_fossil_preparator - Kopie.pdf

Might be interesting:   Chondrichthyan egg capsule card.pdf

I forgot to mention that others would brush egg whites onto Mazon Creek fossils to create a shiny protective barrier- left untouched, some of these grew some type of mold on the fossils. I always just leave mine as they open.

9 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I forgot to mention that others would brush egg whites onto Mazon Creek fossils to create a shiny protective barrier- left untouched, some of these grew some type of mold on the fossils. I always just leave mine as they open.

Gosh - brushing on egg whites or any food based "preservative" would seem to be asking for trouble!

Archived