Rocky Stoner

Hey friends :)

I took a little walk at lunchtime today cracking shale along the way. Found this in the split of a piece of the harder gray/black/blue shale that doesn't have many fossils in it .... that I have found, anyway.

Is it a crinoid ? from the calyx up ?

Very interesting tentacles ... or whatever they're called.

Its quite small. The calyx (if that's what it is) is about 5mm diameter.

Could this be prepped out ? Looks like it would all be there, but quite delicate and tricky to expose.

Thanks for looking :)

IMG_9989.JPG

IMG_9990.JPG

IMG_9991.JPG

IMG_9992.JPG

IMG_9993.JPG

IMG_9994.JPG

That is a beautiful crinoid calyx! Super well preserved, even the tentacles have the cilia preserved (don't know if those are the right terms). I don't know it can be prepped, but it's a nice piece either way.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That's a sweet little crinoid!  I don't know how much more it can be prepped.  There may be a bit more of the arms that could be uncovered but that could risk having the calyx fly off. Personally I would leave it as is.

Don

Drool worthy Rocky!

Congratulations!!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Real nice crinoid. You're stuff is getting better and better...

I agree with Don, leave it as is.

could very well be the next  "Winner of the August 2017 Invertebrate / Plant Find of the Month"...

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

18 minutes ago, oilshale said:

could very well be the next  "Winner of the August 2017 Invertebrate / Plant Find of the Month"...

Thomas

Definitely! :dinothumb:

Thank you all for your responses !

I will leave this one "as is", I wouldn't want it to turn out like the partial greenops pygidium that I tried to improve upon.

Question:

If this calyx is 5mm, the main stem would have likely been 2mm (or slightly less) ?

The reason I ask, in the general area of this find there was a stem, or root, that was about 15mm diameter. If that was a crinoid stem, I'd love to find THAT calyx. It would likely be a doosy. This was in an old shale pit that was used for road repair long ago before the roads were paved. I can still pull fresh shale from the face which is much more stable and splits better without crumbling like the material that has been totally exposed to the elements.

Thanks again for you kind words and advise, it is encouraging.

Kind regards :)

• 1 year later...

With this type of preservation prepping further is unlikely to improve the look of the piece. I would not prep and in my case prepping is essentially free.

26 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

:envy: Absolutely awesome crinoid. Amazing find!

19 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

With this type of preservation prepping further is unlikely to improve the look of the piece. I would not prep and in my case prepping is essentially free.

Thanks guys !

I did end up leaving it as it was. It is quite impressive when viewed under the microscope. Just to imagine how long ago it came to rest in the mud and ended up leaving this evidence boggles my mind. I hope the winner of the rolling auction enjoys it as much as I have.

We'll see this Sat. at noon. GOOD LUCK to all that are bidding !

Regards,

RS

If I found that on a lunch break, I'd be calling out sick with a fever (fossil of course!) for the rest of the day. 

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Archived