JoLucyKelly

I found this tooth on the banks of the river Vilaine in Brittany in France. I believe it is from a horse. Can anyone identify it for me or let me know a possible age. Thanks, Jo

20170809_011644.jpg

20170809_115956.jpg

1502276542141-810185655.jpg

Edited by JoLucyKelly
Additional photo

Hi,

Yes, I think it is horse, but I can't say more.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, JoLucyKelly said:

I found this tooth on the banks of the river Vilaine in Brittany in France. I believe it is from a horse. Can anyone identify it for me or let me know a possible age. Thanks, Jo

Welcome to TFF. This is a fantastic place for fossil hunters and enthusiasts to share information. I think you will like it. There are fossils everywhere and you are on a learning curve.

This tooth is certainly Equus, a lower jaw tooth and many here can identify the exact position. A great technique to leverage all the discussions from the past on this forum about the Vilaine or Brittany or France or Equus or anything else you might want to connect with fossils. Here is such a thread.

Possible Age.  IF it is a fossil, it must be at least 10000 years old because that is the minimum time for fossilization to occur. Equus has existed in the USA for approximately the last 2 million years. I actually do not know for France but would hope others TFF members in France could tell us.  Enjoy your hunting.  

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"