SPOTS IN INDIANA

Matt_Digz

Hello all I am new to this site as you have seen in the welcome page.  I am from Indiana and I'm trying to find spots here in Indiana that my girlfriend and I can go to thats public access.  We are learning all this one the run lol.  I have always been a fossil guy and I have finally decided its the path I want to take.  If any of you have any spots or areas that you recommend please let me know.  

Rt 1 road cut outside of St. Leon. Tunnel Mill near St.Paul. English/ Sulfur exit off I-64. Road cut just north of Madison. More info can be found with a search here,

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

thank you Herb I will pin these one our cork board map!!!  Will definitely be checking these spots out!!!

Agreed with Herb.. definitely check out the road cut in St. Leon, easily one of the best Ordovician collecting sites in the Midwest. I go to school about 10 minutes away from Madison, IN. The road cut on 421 north of town is pretty good, but is better for stratigraphy. Personally I like a railroad cut located near the west side of town. It outcrops along the old railroad which connected Madison to Indianapolis during the 1800's! Also Clifty Falls State Park just outside of Madison has many stream beds filled with Ordovician and Silurian fossils, but since it is a state park you're not allowed to collect them.

Here's a link for the railroad outcrop, it's got quite a fascinating history!

https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/madison/madison_railroad_incline_cut.html

Archived