Florida Tooth

Cluros

This was found in the Peace River. It looks like a molar to me. My father thinks it is a whale tooth. Help us resolve this. I think the long pointy part is the root. Here are three photos. You can see growth rings in the bulbous end. tooth3.thumb.jpg.6a50cd63fa33135e6430b893008bb63d.jpgtooth2.thumb.jpg.7068050f85ee7befa4c7ac6da632f5a5.jpgtooth1.thumb.jpg.aedf8a60e5cff23ee35c51ed0507b5d8.jpg

I'm going to believe that it looks more like a weathered sedimentary structure like banded chert or similar, rather than a large tooth.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

I have not seemed anything like this texture in 10 years of hunting the Peace River. It is not dugong rib. Very difficult for me to believe this is a tooth or a tusk. Worn bone of an elephant like animal or fossilized coral would be my long shot guesses.

I would be glad to hear other opinions.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

41 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I have not seemed anything like this texture in 10 years of hunting the Peace River. It is not dugong rib. Very difficult for me to believe this is a tooth or a tusk. Worn bone of an elephant like animal or fossilized coral would be my long shot guesses.

I would be glad to hear other opinions.

I'm really going out on a "limb" here. Get It? :hearty-laugh:

Photo 3 is only one that kept me from saying wood (on phone screen not computer screen.) The chip at the top and the "bumps" along the bottom, smaller diameter portion have me thinking bone. Which bird (maybe many, but 1 in particular) has feathers that attach to bone, turkey maybe??

Just a wild guess. Google, Gobble!!

Don't know much biology

Given we haven't seen photo of smaller diameter end, may be hollow or partially. Be a big bird though.

Then again, could be a nice big whiskey jug like caldigger suggested. 

Don't know much biology

The end with the growth rings is really reminiscent of derived sperm whales that lack tooth enamel, or perhaps an enameled tooth that has been worn all the way down to the gumline. Not a bird bone - doesn't appear to even be a bone. I tentatively agree with a sperm whale ID, but it is not well preserved and those bumps are quite strange.

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Boesse said:

The end with the growth rings is really reminiscent of derived sperm whales that lack tooth enamel, or perhaps an enameled tooth that has been worn all the way down to the gumline. Not a bird bone - doesn't appear to even be a bone. I tentatively agree with a sperm whale ID, but it is not well preserved and those bumps are quite strange.

Even with a (almost) square cross section? (First picture.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 8/10/2017 at 11:52 AM, ynot said:

Even with a (almost) square cross section? (First picture.)

Plenty of cetaceans with teeth that are too large end up with flattened sides; killer whales have teeth that have a rectangular cross section, for example:

view.image?Id=3984

• I found this Informative 1