Can Anyone Help To Identify This Huge Crab Fossil?

limusher

That's the biggest fossil crab I have ever seen, where in the world did you find such a thing. Wow!

From Indonesia, I found this fossil inside my passed away grandma's bedroom, when I clean the room, and I dont have any information about the age because I am new to fossils

From Indonesia, I found this fossil inside my passed away grandma, and I dont have any information about the age because I am new to fossils

I am glad you verified that in another post, I bout had a heart attack when I read that. :o

:blush:

sorry bout that, because I type quickly and miss the other words, can you identify what type of crab this is?

Holy snarge that thing must be worth a mint! It's the largest crab fossil I've ever seen!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

if you look at the fossil, it looks like a spider with claws, that's why I am hoping that someone in this forum can help me identify the type and the age of this fossil

WOW!! That thing in a monster!!

That would make a perfect door stop in my house. ;)

Did you happen to weigh it yet.... just wondering?

post-986-1247755080_thumb.jpg

Good Lord that thing is enormous! You have a very special fossil there. Make sure you protect it. I would actually look into having that thing profesionally prepped if it were mine. :)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

I found this Cymonomidae, and it looks like it but no info at all, it is a monster. sorry.

I found this Cymonomidae, and it looks like it but no info at all, it is a monster. sorry.

Thanks for the information

Can you post pictures of the top, front, side, and back of this goliath crustacean? Thanks.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Can you post pictures of the top, front, side, and back of this goliath crustacean? Thanks.

I will take more pictures tomorrow and post them

Thanks for the information

I'm sorry, I just said it looked like you crab, it may not be it is just a start. But I am still looking, for your beast.

That claw is way out in left field, got all my books out on reef and deep bed crabs now seeing what the guys that still live have to offer. The best book I have on crabs in that area is Marine Decapod Crustacea of Southern Australia by Gary C.B. Poore, some came close, but the claw made this search a dead end. I have never seen anything that big, that's not a spider crab. Yes they can get big, but they like shallow water mostly and have small claws. This guy is heavy, short legs big massive claws, and a shell like reef dweller. What the heck did this guy eat, it could have tore the tire off a motorcycle. Sorry, just thinking.

limusher, if you could indulge a few more pictures please. We have some very good crab experts here. Try using the flash on the camera for a few. A few close-ups using the macro mode might also be helpful. I'm sure some of our members are digging through research papers, books, and the web for an ID of your crab.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

limusher, if you could indulge a few more pictures please. We have some very good crab experts here. Try using the flash on the camera for a few. A few close-ups using the macro mode might also be helpful. I'm sure some of our members are digging through research papers, books, and the web for an ID of your crab.

I been sitting on the couch surrounded with almost every book I got, but that big claw is very unusual. A good close up of the big claw would help.

Something is wrong with this, it's a new one or not one at all.

It is those claws, I keep looking at them, they look like 2 different claws to me, maybe it is just my eyes but they are what keeps stumping me. I have been looking ever since they posted it.