Can Anyone Help To Identify This Huge Crab Fossil?

limusher

It is those claws, I keep looking at them, they look like 2 different claws to me, maybe it is just my eyes but they are what keeps stumping me. I have been looking ever since they posted it.

Well, you can have two different claws, they just look like the inside was filed to shape. And the whole thing looks sanded. But, with the photos so dark you can't see and detail or texture. But like I said, the largest crabs in history are spider crabs and coconut crabs, the first likes deep water and the second dry land. This crab has the make up of a reef crab but with the wrong claws. and no bumps on it.

Something is wrong with this, it's a new one or not one at all.

I try to take more picture but this is using mobile phone camera, will try to borrow better camera and take more pictures next week

post-1925-1247817569_thumb.jpg

post-1925-1247817640_thumb.jpg

I try to take more picture but this is using mobile phone camera, will try to borrow better camera and take more pictures next week

Now this makes sense, can you get better pictures of the legs and the back of the shell? Thanks, but that's not necessary I've seen enough.

I think this maybe and extincted version of Birgus and it is incomplete.

I think you are right Jp, it is the closest thing I have seen to this.

Can you tell me the age of this creature? Is this belong to fossil or sub-fossil?

Can you tell me the age of this creature? Is this belong to fossil or sub-fossil?

From 1 to 2 million years, that's just about the time some of the smaller coconuts came there and from the south. It's also the time that some of these guys hardened their shells and started climbing trees, why they did this I do no know for sure. It maybe because of the Monitor lizards, kind of hard to climb a tree with a seashell on your back.

Fossil is just Latin for "dug-up", but I guess today it means found coming out of the ground it is a fossil. No sub-fossil.

JP, have you found a reference fossil of this one? I have been looking and can't find any. I had nightmares of this thing last night from looking at it so much, would like to find out more about it if you have any links I would appreciate it.

From 1 to 2 million years, that's just about the time some of the smaller coconuts came there and from the south. It's also the time that some of these guys hardened their shells and started climbing trees, why they did this I do no know for sure. It maybe because of the Monitor lizards, kind of hard to climb a tree with a seashell on your back.

Fossil is just Latin for "dug-up", but I guess today it means found coming out of the ground it is a fossil. No sub-fossil.

Thank you so much for helping me to identiffy this fossil, do you think this is a unique fossil?

JP, have you found a reference fossil of this one? I have been looking and can't find any. I had nightmares of this thing last night from looking at it so much, would like to find out more about it if you have any links I would appreciate it.

I still have another crab fossil with similar size as this one, but different type of crab

Unfortunately I cannot post picture because I am on trip, but I can send you by email

No, but a lot of points on this fossil link to the Birgus family, the claws for one are right for the early coconuts and one main feature is the ridge running down the center of the carapace, and a fixing point for antenna. This is a dry land crab and at the time it would not be good for it to be on the ground. This guy was in a state of change and never made it, why who knows. This maybe the only fossil of it's kind?

I still have another crab fossil with similar size as this one, but different type of crab

Unfortunately I cannot post picture because I am on trip, but I can send you by email

Oh my God, you just made my day.

No, but a lot of points on this fossil link to the Birgus family, the claws for one are right for the early coconuts and one main feature is the ridge running down the center of the carapace, and a fixing point for antenna. This is a dry land crab and at the time it would not be good for it to be on the ground. This guy was in a state of change and never made it, why who knows. This maybe the only fossil of it's kind?

That is what I have been looking at, all of the links to the Birgus Crabs, but have yet to find anything about a fossil being found of this type. I am sure that it is of that family and was thinking that it hasn't changed any or very little over the million plus years. I was hoping to find some other reference of a fossilized one. Maybe this weekend some of the crab people will be on here with some info on it. This has really peaked my interest would like to know more.

That is what I have been looking at, all of the links to the Birgus Crabs, but have yet to find anything about a fossil being found of this type. I am sure that it is of that family and was thinking that it hasn't changed any or very little over the million plus years. I was hoping to find some other reference of a fossilized one. Maybe this weekend some of the crab people will be on here with some info on it. This has really peaked my interest would like to know more.

This is a very large family and has gone through a bunch of changes, these guys go way way back and started out very small. And like everything else changed to survive. This book helps Marine Decapod Crustacea of Southern Australia by Gary C.B. Poore, it shows you paths you need to follow so to speak.

Oh, I forgot, if your looking for fossils of these guys good luck. Indonesia, New Guinea, and so forth is like going back in time. People go in and they don't come out. I can only guess at whats under the soil there, give me a plane ticket, some off, a shovel, and bye......

This is a very large family and has gone through a bunch of changes, these guys go way way back and started out very small. And like everything else changed to survive. This book helps Marine Decapod Crustacea of Southern Australia by Gary C.B. Poore, it shows you paths you need to follow so to speak.
Thanks for the reference book, I need to know more, it is driving me crazy. :wacko:

Oh, I forgot, if your looking for fossils of these guys good luck. Indonesia, New Guinea, and so forth is like going back in time. People go in and they don't come out. I can only guess at whats under the soil there, give me a plane ticket, some off, a shovel, and bye......

It is true jp, there are so many fossils in indonesia, and they are very easy to find, you can get stegodon tusks, jaws, even skulls of prehistoric human easily, they are scattered all over people backyard, and usually found when farmers do their farm or when building house foundation, often the fossils are still in good shape and they sell the fossil cheap, not to mention wood fossils, theses wood fossils are sell by their weight per lbs

After looking at all the pictures this crab looks fake to me, the leg joints dont look right. All of them at about right angles the legs themselves look square. The claws look upside down and sculpted. No joint for the upper pincer, and pincer size is disproportionate to the claw body, The carapace almost looks like a small bronze shield with heavy patina.

After looking at all the pictures this crab looks fake to me, the leg joints dont look right. All of them at about right angles the legs themselves look square. The claws look upside down and sculpted. No joint for the upper pincer, and pincer size is disproportionate to the claw body, The carapace almost looks like a small bronze shield with heavy patina.

I know very little about crabs, but something seems not quite right. ;)

Which of the crab that you think is fake? Is it the first, second or both? I will try to get detail pictures next week and perhaps you can advise again after I post the detailed photos

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who smells a rat.

I await the offer to sell these unique specimens at an attractive price...

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who smells a rat.

I await the offer to sell these unique specimens at an attractive price...

I think I need to clarify some opinions here, first of all my intention to join and show my fossil is not for business or money, the crabs has been with our family for generations and they are not for sell, secondly, because I am new to fossil, I was only hoping that someone in this forum can help me ID the fossils, eventhough if all of you think these were fakes, I will appreciate your help and will still keep the crab because they are inheritance of my family, so please post your scientific review and do not accuse of cheating

Goodness gracious!

I kept passing up this topic because i knew nothing about crabs... then I noticed it was at three pages... so there must be something..

HUGE CRAB! O_O

and limusher, I do not think we were accusing you of trying to pass off a fake crab to sell, many of us have had experience when someone tries to sell something that isnt real... so there are many fakies out there, but we are not necessarily saying you are trying to cheat us.

But personally, i have no idea what they are... although something does seem rather fishy with the last one...

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex