Need Help Identifying

Matt_Digz

This is a possibility??      Except I see 5 sides to the honeycomb?

Favosites (in this example: Knee Caps) is a common tabulate genus. It has a colonial arrangement of densely packed prismatic corallites about the size of honeycomb cells. Six or sometimes 12 weakly developed septal ridges are present on the corallite walls. Note complete horizontal tabulae are present as are mural pores connecting the walls of the corallites (see diagram below). Favosites was a major component of mid-Paleozoic reefs (Ordovician to Devonian) and flourished worldwide until the end of the Permian.

862d4a21-cbd3-412f-915e-4d1df5bb4ad5.jpg

I think that is it. The shapes that look like miniature floor tiles are casts of the individual coralites.

Definitely a favosite chunk! I love finding little pieces of coral like that. I'm always checking random piles of gravel I stumble upon or even parking lots made with crushed up limestone. Urban fossil hunting haha! If you look hard enough there are tiny chunks of fossils everywhere!

Nice find by the way!! I really like the preservation of the hexagonal shape on the coralites! :)