Looking for a place to collect - White River, Nebraska

Xiphactinus

OK...the wife and I are starting to plan an epic fossil hunting trip for next year (our 30th anniversary). We've wanted to hunt the White River near Chadron, Nebraska forever. Now's the time. I have no connections to property, so I'm looking to the collective knowledge of the Forum. I know property is pretty sealed up vs. how it was in the 90's. We're willing to pay (within reason) for access. Anyone have suggestions?

59 minutes ago, ynot said:

I think @MarcoSr has some connections to land in that area, and His sons will allow access for a price.

Good luck!

@Xiphactinus

Ynot is correct. MarcoSr's boys own a big ranch out near Crawford, NE. In fact, my wife and I are heading out there to hunt (and hopefully collect) this Sept. 11 - 15. I'll be able to give you a report while we are there and after we get back.

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Most property near Chadron is US government land that requires a permit (never given to amateurs and extremely time consuming to request even for the professionals) to collect vertebrate fossils.

The private landowners don't like dealing with individual collectors.  Some have given leases to museums who only let museum folks collect and everything found must be donated.  There are only a couple of ranches in the area where amateurs can still collect.  You pay so much per day. 

You can get on two ranches through the High Plains Homestead (Mike and Linda want to retire and are trying to sell).  Certain groups pay premium fees to get on these ranches and get first choice. Also you may not be able to collect if it is too dry (Vehicle can cause dry grass fire) or too wet (Vehicle can get stuck).

http://www.highplainshomestead.com/

Without a guide it is often difficult to find much on these ranches.  Also if you don't know how to dig, harden and jacket you won't get the larger specimens out correctly.  If you stray on to US land (which is very easy to do because the ranches have US land around them and some ranches even have US land inside their ranch boundaries) you will be arrested if caught with any vertebrate fossils. Plus if you don't know the weather it is very easy to get trapped by rain and your vehicle stuck for days in these ranches. So I would strongly recommend a guide. 

Only my sons' ranch offers a guide.  Frank Garcia has been leading trips to their ranch for many years. Below is a link to a website with information about my sons' ranch:

http://www.m-mfossildigs.com/index.html

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

Most property near Chadron is US government land that requires a permit (never given to amateurs and extremely time consuming to request even for the professionals) to collect vertebrate fossils.

The private landowners don't like dealing with individual collectors.  Some have given leases to museums who only let museum folks collect and everything found must be donated.  There are only a couple of ranches in the area where amateurs can still collect.  You pay so much per day. 

You can get on two ranches through the High Plains Homestead (Mike and Linda want to retire and are trying to sell).  Certain groups pay premium fees to get on these ranches and get first choice. Also you may not be able to collect if it is too dry (Vehicle can cause dry grass fire) or too wet (Vehicle can get stuck).

http://www.highplainshomestead.com/

Without a guide it is often difficult to find much on these ranches.  Also if you don't know how to dig, harden and jacket you won't get the larger specimens out correctly.  If you stray on to US land (which is very easy to do because the ranches have US land around them and some ranches even have US land inside their ranch boundaries) you will be arrested if caught with any vertebrate fossils. Plus if you don't know the weather it is very easy to get trapped by rain and your vehicle stuck for days in these ranches. So I would strongly recommend a guide. 

Only my sons' ranch offers a guide.  Frank Garcia has been leading trips to their ranch for many years. Below is a link to a website with information about my sons' ranch:

http://www.m-mfossildigs.com/index.html

Marco Sr.

Thanks @marcosr !  Understand the challenges of BLM land and private land. We are very experienced at excavating, consolidating and jacketing larger finds, but haven't hunted the white river before. Have done major digs in the Niobrara chalk and Hell Creek in MT.

I'll get in touch with your son.

1 hour ago, SailingAlongToo said:

@Xiphactinus

Ynot is correct. MarcoSr's boys own a big ranch out near Crawford, NE. In fact, my wife and I are heading out there to hunt (and hopefully collect) this Sept. 11 - 15. I'll be able to give you a report while we are there and after we get back.

Good luck!

On 8/10/2017 at 10:32 PM, jpc said:

Xiphy... Pm me if you want to hop across the state line into Wyoming for White River fossils.  

jpc, do you have a ranch in WY?

Dorensigbadges.JPG