thelivingdead531

Walton on the Naze

thelivingdead531    0
thelivingdead531

Is there a certain area I should be looking in or to avoid when looking for fossils at Walton on the Naze? I've never been to the area before so I'm unsure of what to expect, also I'm a complete amateur so it's mainly for fun. I would like to try to come back with something, even if it's small. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

WhodamanHD    287
WhodamanHD

Using a geologic map will help, also in the U.K. I believe there is an app called fossil explorer that says the geology of the area. Look on google maps/earth for exposed rock, and abide by an fossil hunting rules the U.K. has. Good luck!

Kosmoceras    105
Kosmoceras

Sit down or kneel in a patch of shingle and use a trowel to sift through it for shark teeth. It’s pretty good around or just past the pillboxes, stay back from the cliffs as they’re quite unstable. It’s the school holidays at the moment and Walton is usually packed at this time of year, its more productive at other times of the year.

WhodamanHD    287
WhodamanHD

Forgot to add, cliffs can be dangerous, so I wouldn't recommend digging in them to much, but under them where the water hits them should be good for hunting.

thelivingdead531    0
thelivingdead531

Thank you both! I'll look up the app right away. My son is on school holiday right now and was trying to find an activity we would both enjoy (truth be told I'll enjoy it more), so I was hoping to avoid a lot of crowds if possible. I'll stay away from digging on or very near to the cliffs, I know of the dangers. I'll try to go in the next few weeks but if not I know I'll be there at some point this year. Thanks again!

WhodamanHD    287
WhodamanHD
14 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Thank you both! I'll look up the app right away. My son is on school holiday right now and was trying to find an activity we would both enjoy (truth be told I'll enjoy it more), so I was hoping to avoid a lot of crowds if possible. I'll stay away from digging on or very near to the cliffs, I know of the dangers. I'll try to go in the next few weeks but if not I know I'll be there at some point this year. Thanks again!

No problem, good luck in the hunt! May the megalodon god shine favorably upon you :meg:!

JohnBrewer    413
JohnBrewer

Check the link in my signature which has info you might find useful. 

This site, which I'm sure you know, is a good resource https://ukfossils.co.uk/

thelivingdead531    0
thelivingdead531

Thank you all! I took my son this past Wednesday and came home with a bunch of stuff to sift through. Once I get all of the clay and sand rinsed off I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. I only found a partial shark's tooth, but found a lot of fossilized wood (or what appears to be, I'll be posting pictures for opinions later). 

I'm also curious to find out how to tell if a shell is a fossil or more modern, because I saw fossilized shells in the visitor center and they look a lot like most of the shells I found on the beach. 

Sorry for so many questions and being so needy! I'm still so new to finding my own fossils. I've been on google for days trying to find out what all I may have collected. I appreciate the patience!

WhodamanHD    287
WhodamanHD
10 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Thank you all! I took my son this past Wednesday and came home with a bunch of stuff to sift through. Once I get all of the clay and sand rinsed off I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. I only found a partial shark's tooth, but found a lot of fossilized wood (or what appears to be, I'll be posting pictures for opinions later). 

I'm also curious to find out how to tell if a shell is a fossil or more modern, because I saw fossilized shells in the visitor center and they look a lot like most of the shells I found on the beach. 

Sorry for so many questions and being so needy! I'm still so new to finding my own fossils. I've been on google for days trying to find out what all I may have collected. I appreciate the patience!

Glad you hade a good time and got a tooth! Keep the questions coming, it keeps us occupied!