Jump to content
Sharks of SC

Summerville Pays Off Big Time!

Recommended Posts

Sharks of SC

Hello Everyone, 

Yesterday was my only day off from work this week and I decided that I was overdue for a nice tooth. My usual tidal spots are covered in a fine layer of silt from our recent rainstorms, so I decided to give Summerville a try. For me, productive Summerville sites are about a 30-35 minute drive which is usually enough to keep me on the coast. I've taken a handful of trips to the area, but haven't found anything particularly noteworthy...until this trip!

This was a complete 'Hail Mary" trip - I knew I wanted to start with a main canal system and work through some of the deeper feeder creeks. I usually have very little success on the scouting trips, occasionally finding some reworked stuff and interesting formation. But yesterday after over two hours of hiking, spiders, knee-deep mud, and intense heat...I finally found some absolutely beautiful Chandler Bridge Formation lining a deep ditch in the middle of nowhere. I immediately got the sensation that I'd hit a virgin creek. 

The finds were plentiful with many, many of the usual broken shark teeth and bone pieces and a handful of gems in the mix. Of particular note are a pair of cream-colored Hemipristis serra, a stunner of a 2.2" Carcharocles angustidens, assorted vertebrae, and some associated alligator material! 

All-in-all it was the best Summerville trip I've had to date, and I'm excited to try some new areas in the near future. 

Cheers!

SOSC 

DSC_0145.thumb.JPG.c63287185e31f574305fc39511c218c6.JPG

 

My camera batteries just ran out of juice, so stay tuned for forthcoming close-up shots!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

Congratulations on finding such a good site to dig. Love the fish vert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

:envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:

so many of those^

those are amazing, truly beautiful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sharks of SC
21 minutes ago, ynot said:

Congratulations on finding such a good site to dig. Love the fish vert.

Thank you very much, though I'd like to make the distinction that I was strictly surface hunting...using tools within the town limits of Summerville is prohibited. 

19 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

:envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:

so many of those^

those are amazing, truly beautiful!

Thank you, Whodaman!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sharks of SC

some close-ups, as promised - 

DSC_0152.thumb.JPG.758ee868910b14d807ae7f407dd28622.JPGDSC_0153.thumb.JPG.0938af0fc9ad24c450d7ca5809d3d71d.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sharks of SC

DSC_0154.JPG.7071487c29f4eab2c476637e5e59d417.JPG

DSC_0158.JPG.19a25abc13af034a7e878f0ebca14dcd.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shellseeker

The stuff that dreams are made of..:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:..  Fantastic finds.  I do not think that you will ever forget this trip or how exactly that Angy was placed when you first saw it..  Like Tony, I also love the fish and whale verts....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcbshark

Awesome finds and colors. That angy is sweet:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeffrey P

That's an exquisite haul. I especially love the vertebrae, the Carcharocles tooth, and the colorful pair of hemis, but everything looks amazing. Big congratulations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

Will You post better pictures of the verts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sharks of SC
10 minutes ago, ynot said:

Will You post better pictures of the verts?

here are the fish (tuna?) and cetacean verts - 

DSC_0157.JPG.9853b8caa2f4766924d4220c594d8f93.JPGDSC_0159.thumb.JPG.13a08cadbfd2e2d51330d3dd3bdf1e38.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gavialboy

awesome finds. congrats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Great finds! Those hemis are beauties!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ropterus

Looks like you found a nice honey hole! Congrats on the finds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

As the old saying goes, "location,location, location.  Much as anything now days, if you want to find good stuff, you have to get off the usual beaten path. All the drudging through deep mud and spiders paid off in the end and now you have a nice spot to hunt that for the most part is probably all yours. Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilDudeCO

Fantastic finds, thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sharks of SC

thank you everyone for the kind comments!! Question - is the "alligator" material really alligator or crocodile if found in Oligocene Chandler Bridge Fm.? I feel like alligators came on the scene a little later than the represented material, but Im not particularly well-versed on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
2 minutes ago, Sharks of SC said:

thank you everyone for the kind comments!! Question - is the "alligator" material really alligator or crocodile if found in Oligocene Chandler Bridge Fm.? I feel like alligators came on the scene a little later than the represented material, but Im not particularly well-versed on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

I believe deinosuchus (late Cretaceous) is an alligatoroid, so it's not I,possible. I have no idea how to tell the difference though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis

Great finds, congrats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brett Breakin' Rocks
14 hours ago, Sharks of SC said:

thank you everyone for the kind comments!! Question - is the "alligator" material really alligator or crocodile if found in Oligocene Chandler Bridge Fm.? I feel like alligators came on the scene a little later than the represented material, but Im not particularly well-versed on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

  Someone on here had mentioned before that the Pleistocene Wando formation rides over the Chandler in spots in and around Summerville and also has reworked lag deposits with varied fossil material.  The Wando is where the meg teeth come from if I am not mistaken.  @Boesse would definitely have more info on the subject or resources.

 

Cheers, 

Brett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jcbshark

I'm not totally familiar with your area but from what I understand croc osteoderms don't have a 'bump' in the middle like gator osteoderms do:) with them being all partials it's tough to say for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hemi123

Awesome finds, love the big pic of the Angi...........takes a lot of work to find the right spot. Congrats!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anthracite31

Wow!   Well done sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Megalodon Hunter
On 8/11/2017 at 0:52 PM, Sharks of SC said:

Hello Everyone, 

Yesterday was my only day off from work this week and I decided that I was overdue for a nice tooth. My usual tidal spots are covered in a fine layer of silt from our recent rainstorms, so I decided to give Summerville a try. For me, productive Summerville sites are about a 30-35 minute drive which is usually enough to keep me on the coast. I've taken a handful of trips to the area, but haven't found anything particularly noteworthy...until this trip!

This was a complete 'Hail Mary" trip - I knew I wanted to start with a main canal system and work through some of the deeper feeder creeks. I usually have very little success on the scouting trips, occasionally finding some reworked stuff and interesting formation. But yesterday after over two hours of hiking, spiders, knee-deep mud, and intense heat...I finally found some absolutely beautiful Chandler Bridge Formation lining a deep ditch in the middle of nowhere. I immediately got the sensation that I'd hit a virgin creek. 

The finds were plentiful with many, many of the usual broken shark teeth and bone pieces and a handful of gems in the mix. Of particular note are a pair of cream-colored Hemipristis serra, a stunner of a 2.2" Carcharocles angustidens, assorted vertebrae, and some associated alligator material! 

All-in-all it was the best Summerville trip I've had to date, and I'm excited to try some new areas in the near future. 

Cheers!

SOSC 

DSC_0145.thumb.JPG.c63287185e31f574305fc39511c218c6.JPG

 

My camera batteries just ran out of juice, so stay tuned for forthcoming close-up shots!

What are some good creeks and places to hunt in the Summerville sc area, could you point out a couple of creeks or ditches and stuff I could search tomorrow?

Need some help please 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Megalodon Hunter
On 8/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, Sharks of SC said:

Thank you very much, though I'd like to make the distinction that I was strictly surface hunting...using tools within the town limits of Summerville is prohibited. 

Thank you, Whodaman!

Any places you can point me towards to start hunting, I'm new to the hobby and I want to hunt in Summerville tomorrow and creeks ditches etc would be very helpful for a beginner, thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×