Green River Turtle Sneak Peak

sseth

So I have had a lot of interest in the three turtles we pulled out of the quarry this year.  While we are not ready to unveil them completely, here are a few pictures during the prep process to tantalize. Both the Xrays and a small pic or two.  Xrays do not show everything so you have to use your imagination about what is in the rock.

The first pictures are of the little turtle my dad found.  Species is currently being evaluated, it is about 6 inches long.

Next are pictures of one of the two large turtles we found on top of each other, separated by only inches.  It is a trionyx, possibly Apalone, approximately 4 feet long .  The other large turtle is a Chisternon, nearly 4 1/2 feet long..  That was an exciting weekend.  I will post more when Prep is complete.

Seth

IMG_0182 copy.jpg

IMG_0453.JPG copy.jpeg

trionyx xray copy 3.jpg

IMG_0633.JPG copy 2.jpeg

IMG_0677.JPG copy.jpeg

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Nice specimens, can't wait to see them finished

:popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Awesome fellow in that slab! Good luck on the rest of the prep! 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Archived