Hi all,

I saw this Diplomystus online for sale. I was surprised by the prize: 20$! But then I started to get a little suspicious. Though most fakes are mosasaurs and keichousaurs, I heard that fossil fish from the Green River formation are often re-painted so that they look more splendid. Though I am pretty sure that this specimen here was originally 100% real, I think that it might have been painted on. Is my suspicion right, or is this one 100% natural?

Here is the info they gave:

Overview

A top quality Diplomystus fish from the "split fish" layer. TheDiplomystus dentatus is a Herring from the Eocene age (50 MYA) fish, Green River Fm., Lincoln Co. Wyoming. Excellent preservation and preparation. No repair. All natural. Plate size is 3-1/4" x 3-1/4". An excellent display piece! 

X470         SIZE: 2-7/8"

-

A top quality, Diplomystus fish. The Diplomystus dentatus is a Herring. The Diplomystus was a carnivorous fish which feed on the Knightia based on many examples found inside their stomachs. This piece shows incredible detail. Exceptional preservation and preparation. Wonderful display piece. A less common species.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Max

Untitled1.png

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Yes, it is painted. The body is stained completely and the fins are "drawn in." From the photo it appears the original was an imprint devoid of bone. Much nicer examples are readily available.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Yes, like snoly50 says.  Completely stained with the fins painted on.   Also, I think its the Knightia that is considered the herring.  No way would I pay $20 for this specimen, but its up to you.

RB

I agree. The lighter parts on the bottom of the fish would be the original coloring. The rest, it was painted all over! :blink:

02.PNG

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Hey max,

It is ALL paint. They painted right over the top of the few real pieces of bone and scales.

There are a few verts there that are intact as well as the gill plates.

If you are interested in a fish send me a PM. I will pull one of my boxes out and snap some photos

12 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Yes, it is painted. The body is stained completely and the fins are "drawn in." From the photo it appears the original was an imprint devoid of bone. Much nicer examples are readily available.

12 hours ago, RJB said:

Yes, like snoly50 says.  Completely stained with the fins painted on.   Also, I think its the Knightia that is considered the herring.  No way would I pay $20 for this specimen, but its up to you.

RB

9 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I agree. The lighter parts on the bottom of the fish would be the original coloring. The rest, it was painted all over! :blink:

02.PNG

9 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Hey max,

It is ALL paint. They painted right over the top of the few real pieces of bone and scales.

There are a few verts there that are intact as well as the gill plates.

If you are interested in a fish send me a PM. I will pull one of my boxes out and snap some photos

Alright, thanks all for warning me! 

20$ for a Diplomystus did seem fishy... (no pun intended :P)

Do you think that it would be wise to warn the sellers and ask them to remove the product from their website, or should I just ignore it?

Blake, to be honest, I was just looking around for something cheap to buy, not for something specific, when I came across this. I'm not really looking for a Green River fish; but I will surely once in my life (mostly because I will feel guilty if I don't) visit the Green River quarries in the US. Hopefully that will be sometime soon, and maybe you could then guide me around!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Non-painted green river fish are frequently not expensive and very attractive, I'd look at some more.  You did the right thing posting pics here, I once bought a painted fish, it was annoying to find out after the fact.

2 hours ago, aplomado said:

Non-painted green river fish are frequently not expensive and very attractive, I'd look at some more.  You did the right thing posting pics here, I once bought a painted fish, it was annoying to find out after the fact.

Well, all my mosasaur material is reconstructed/fake. That's why now I'm a lot more suspicious.

I know that Green River fish are common on the market, but as I said before I wasn't specifically looking for one. If at some point I randomly come by a nice one for a low price, then I might buy it.

Max Derème