Ammonite bite

Jed

Help!  this Ammonite (Oxytropisoceras so?) is about 8 inches across, its from Texas, does this look like a bite mark? any idea what would have done the biting? I've done some searching but just don't seem to be finding this "type" of bite (maybe my daughter's 4 year old?)

IMG_2963.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2963.JPG

I'm no expert, but it looks more like some sort of crack from erosion to me.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Doesn't look like a bite to me either, unless somewhere out there zigzagosauruses bones are waiting to be found.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Your ammonite is a steinkern which means the shell dissolved away leaving the lithified sediment inside. It is the sediment that has the "bite mark" not the ammonite. The damage occurred after the ammonite died and filled with sediment.

• I found this Informative 1

Your daughter's four year old would have to have some very sturdy teeth!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Most teeth either crush, slice or puncture their prey so I'm inclined to agree it's not a bite mark but it is also unlike typical breaks or erosion either, at least in my limited experience. It would be great to know what would cause that pattern. I'm guessing we will never know but maybe someone has experience with this break pattern they will share. Did this oxy come from Flat Creek?

• 2 years later...

Ammonites do happen to have bite marks but they definitely affect the shell only and don't reflect on the matrix which fills the shell afterwards. The shell itself is thin and hollow145133538356656-big.jpg

• I found this Informative 2