Matoaka beach questions

Miocene_Mason

1.) open sundays?

2) allowed to hunt under (not in) cliffs?

3) good fossils?

4) crowded?

thanks for any responses.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

You will find mostly shells here. Sharkteeth are rare finds at this location. Cliffs sit back away from tide line. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

16 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

You will find mostly shells here. Sharkteeth are rare finds at this location. Cliffs sit back away from tide line. 

I guess that's the Choptank, but hopefully some ecphoras on boulders that dropped off :fingerscrossed:.

1 hour ago, gjb6774 said:

Thank you

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

As Dave said, shark teeth are few and far between. The only ones I've found are small and that's after patiently combing the shallow water. There are also plenty of fossil shells lying at or near the base of the cliffs and I've found some there that were new to my collection. Pieces of coral are also common. Don't dig into cliffs or embankments and don't climb on them. Definitely not crowded the two times I was there. I believe I was the only one hunting for fossils. The daily fee for access is cheap and they're friendly. 

@Jeffrey P @Darktooth @gjb6774

Thank you all for your help, I plan to probably go Saturday or Sunday, depending on the amount of thunder. :fingerscrossed: hopefully I can get some nice shells, maybe some Ecphora (maybe gardenerae if my lucks good) and maybe even a shark tooth or two will present itself ( and of course a monster megalodon:P) I will post whatever finds I get soon after.

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 hours ago, Foozil said:

Good luck! :envy:

14 hours ago, gavialboy said:

best of luck when you go and hopefully you find some good stuff

2 hours ago, Ropterus said:

Agree with everything said already. It's a nice place. A fairly easy walk on the beach. Good luck!

Thanks! I went today to both matoaka beach as well as Douglas point, and was not dissatisfied. No megs though....

ill be posting the finds in a new topic tommorow. Thanks to every replier!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived