Spots in Southern WV

GoingOnATrip

Hey guys, I was looking for some fossil sites in the southern WV area. Google doesn't seem to be of much help. I did find the Lost River area and I plan on visiting that soon. 

If anyone knows of a place that would be awesome! 

If your willing to venture North, there are some sites (two) near Hancock,md. PM me if interested. i hope a local can help here more. Good luck!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

One place that I went to back in the late 1970s was Oakvale.  There is a railroad trestle just outside of town and blastoids (Pentremites ponderosa, Pen. pyriformis, and Pen. godoni) could be found in the dirt around and under the tracks.  The Union (??) Ls. (Mississippian) is exposed along the tracks. The limestone is VERY hard and difficult to collect from, as the blastoids tend to split.  You MIGHT collect some good matrix specimens.  NO IDEA whether these tracks are patrolled and what the locals might say about trespassing.  I was last there MANY years ago! I would LOVE to hear about YOUR trip in any event!   Good luck and happy hunting!  Dave