Max-fossils

Hi all,

Here is a piece of bone, and I think it's part of a big rib (this being the part connecting the rib to the spinal column). 

It comes from the Zandmotor (NL), which is known for its numerous remains of mammal fossils from the late Pleistocene (40'000 years ago) (mammoth, cave lion, jaguar, dire wolf, woolly rhino, etc).

Anyone know from what animal it might have come from?

Thanks in advance,

Max

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

16 minutes ago, Spinosaurus said:

i dont think its a rib, i think its the head of a Femur, the part that goes into the pelvis.

You're right, good call!

Thanks 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Definitely not a femur head with those two articulation surfaces. It does indeed look like a rib. Dunno what type of animal specifically. It's not rhino though.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

4 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Definitely not a femur head with those two articulation surfaces. It does indeed look like a rib. Dunno what type of animal specifically. It's not rhino though.

Ah ok. 

Rhino didn't come in my mind at any time, I would imagine that rhino bones are more robust. I was more thinking horse, deer or another large 'gracile" ungulate.

Thanks

Max Derème

Yes they are more robust on rhinos. But there's also a deeper rounder gap between the two articulation surfaces.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

10 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Yes they are more robust on rhinos. But there's also a deeper rounder gap between the two articulation surfaces.

Ok. I guess I'll just keep the bone as Mammalia indet., since no one has a positive ID.

Max Derème