Corals?

hemi123

Not sure, but I think I have seen someone else post pictures of these on the site but cant find them. Are these horn coral ends?

coral.jpg

I think they could be sponges, similar to Astylospongia , if not that.

astylo0.jpg.2d25309c064824e61c6e0c2298ef5760.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

57824_sponge-fos_sm.gif.9d7e8c09db4f606db6cb45f9cd99251c.gif

picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I can see the resemblance to the sponge, just that they are so tiny, largest one is no bigger than my thumb nail. Sending  side views. 

side_view.jpg

1. Also, forgot the specs of the items in question. Found in Carolina, between Ashley formation and Chandler Bridge? Lots of fossilized material around that is marine and did find many tiger shark teeth as well as fossilized shells there.

Now I see it.
The new data change everything.

As Al Dente said, they could be solitary corals, in this case scleractinian corals (they are not circular in cross section view, they are elliptical) and probably they were passing through the bioerosion process possibly made by tube worms, as far I can see in the side view.

some examples of dendroid scleractinian corals (Paleocene):

Fig-5-Photomicrographs-of-mound-forming-scleractinian-corals-A-Oculina-becki-Nielsen.png.74d63529daa82bec9c4c5b5261f0358f.png

picture from here

Thomas Mann

My Library

I can definitely agree from what you posted. I just looked those up and see it clearer now. Thanks so much.

18 hours ago, hemi123 said:
  1. Also, forgot the specs of the items in question. Found in Carolina, between Ashley formation and Chandler Bridge? Lots of fossilized material around that is marine and did find many tiger shark teeth as well as fossilized shells there.

Since I am unfortunately not from Carolina, I am not sure about the age of these formations. Could you specify this? - The corals look like Micrabacia or Balanophyllia, but an age would help greatly.

I am just learning about all of the ages of formations, but I believe Oligocene and Paleogene. Please correct me someone if I am wrong. 

27 minutes ago, hemi123 said:

I am just learning about all of the ages of formations, but I believe Oligocene and Paleogene. Please correct me someone if I am wrong. 

The Oligocene is the last epoch in the Paleogene period. Sounds right for Carolina, but I'm not sure.

Archived