Pay To Collect (and Keep) Sites?

sparkchaser

I have been following this thread for the past few days and it got me thinking.

Let's say I wanted to head out West in search of Mesozoic or Cenozoic fossils. I basically have three options:

1. Research a site and hope that not only can I find it but that I am not trespassing.

2. Hook up with a generous fossilforum member that doesn't mind taking me out.

3. Going with a pay to dig outfit.

I want to talk about option 3.

What are some good pay to dig (and keep) outfits? Not just out west, but in general.

I realize that if you find something "rare" or of "scientific value" that they generally get to keep them.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

I have been to Warfield's in Kemmerer for fossil fish and to U-Dig in Utah for trilobites. I was able to get all the specimens I wanted and to pay for the trip by selling extras on E-bay. Both sites were very helpful and wanted me to have a positive experience. We actually got to U-Dig as they were closing and they left a couple hammers for us and said to just slip them under the door when we were done. We could have stayed for hours if we had wanted!

All in all, I felt like both were worth the money and I'd go back to both again.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

I have been to WWarfield'sin Kemmerer for fossil fish and to U-Dig in Utah for trilobites. I was able to get all the specimens I wanted and to pay for the trip by selling extras on E-bay. Both sites were very helpful and wanted me to have a positive experience. We actually got to U-Dig as they were closing and they left a couple hammers for us and said to just slip them under the door when we were done. We could have stayed for hours if we had wanted!

All in all, I felt like both were worth the money and I'd go back to both again.

Places like that I would pay for, as long as I get to keep most of what I find, it is worth it. I am not going to pay to go do all the work for someone else and get nothing in return but a sore back and stiff knees and lighter wallet. I don't mind helping some one to do a dig, but I am not going to pay for it.

Let's take into account total trip cost. We also have to consider the cost of getting there and home, the value of your time, and the opportunity cost of digging somewhere you are forced to hand over your finds vs. a place where you get to keep them. I strive to maximize my quality-fossil-per-dollar-hour-mile index (sorry, I'm an engineer). So in general I play for keeps unless a) I find a holotype B), B) I'm helping a buddy excavate his mosasaur or mammoth or c) I have to surrender a portion of my finds to gain site access, and this is agreed upon ahead of time. Warfield's and U-Dig are great operations - I've done them both and yes they are both worth the money and effort. I took 70 fish in 5 hours at Warfields and 185 trilobites in 5 hours at U-Dig. You can also do those Hell Creek dinosaur digs for like $1700/wk, but I'm not sure what they let you keep - I know you get to keep stuff though.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I'm wondering about those Hell Creek ones too. I know one of them keeps everything and gives you a cast of what you find (whoopee).

If I ever do decide to do a Cretaceous hunt out in the badlands, I'll try and hook up with a local collector.

I've done Warfields as well, and still got a box of stuff from 1992 I haven't prepped from them! Yes, you don't get to keep the rare stuff, but you will go home with tons of fish.

http://www.fossilsafari.com/

I've seen this thing on ePay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dinosaur-Safari-Dig-Ke...1QQcmdZViewItem

Where you can keep up to $4000 worth of stuff (not sure how exactly they appraise it; them or you), but it costs $2000 to join.

Haven't been with these guys, but it doesn't sound like there's a monetary limit to what you can keep, only rare specimens stay (nimravids and large turtles) with them, but they'll make a cast for you to take with you. Somewhat rare specimens they'll hold, prep, and cast, and then return to you. Don't know too much else about 'em.

http://home.earthlink.net/~paleodigs/

The second guy on Tr-J-K's post there from what I have heard is a good place to go. I know a number of people who go there on a regulur basis and one of the owners. However it is very pricy though they are covering your meals, places to stay, transportation, etc.

I have worked with Marge baisch on her ranch for several years now in the Hell Creek. She will take you out one on one and lets you keep pretty much anything and makes sure you bring back you moneys worth, plus I have never been unhappy since she takes you to places you are sure to find plenty and she only chrages a hundred per day. If you want info on her let me know.

I have worked with Marge baisch on her ranch for several years now in the Hell Creek. She will take you out one on one and lets you keep pretty much anything and makes sure you bring back you moneys worth, plus I have never been unhappy since she takes you to places you are sure to find plenty and she only chrages a hundred per day. If you want info on her let me know.

That is something I would definitely be interested in.

The second guy on Tr-J-K's post there from what I have heard is a good place to go. I know a number of people who go there on a regulur basis and one of the owners. However it is very pricy though they are covering your meals, places to stay, transportation, etc.

I am interested in this info also...

Thanks

Mike

I have been out collecting in the Hell Creek Formation with Paleoprospectors on several occasions. Overall, the experience was very positive and did find some really nice pieces that made the trip worth the cost. They collect on multiple ranches and you can keep most of the things you find.

I to would be very interested in this information

thanks

fossil man

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting thread!

I'd definitely like more info, sounds like a good detour on a vacation!

Guest Smilodon
I have been following this thread for the past few days and it got me thinking.

Let's say I wanted to head out West in search of Mesozoic or Cenozoic fossils. I basically have three options:

1. Research a site and hope that not only can I find it but that I am not trespassing.

2. Hook up with a generous fossilforum member that doesn't mind taking me out.

3. Going with a pay to dig outfit.

I want to talk about option 3.

What are some good pay to dig (and keep) outfits? Not just out west, but in general.

I realize that if you find something "rare" or of "scientific value" that they generally get to keep them.

Sparkchaser,

google "the ultimate fossil dig" everything you find is yours. Others claim that, but read their fine print.

Last trip, 11 people found 30 mammal skulls, 20 turtles, partial skeletons and more over a 5 day period.

Here is my two cents.

If you would rather not spend time and energy to research a site due to whatever, then a pay site is the way to go. Heck, if I took a trip out to Utah I would mosty likely not research anything except the phone number to the pay site.

Now, if I pay to get in, then I keep EVERYTHING I find, period. If the company or organization wants to tell me I can not keep a find, then they better be compensating me for my find.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

I would like her info as well. That seems very reasonable... so much so in fact, I would gladly add a gratuity for her generosity.

Considering I have had zero luck finding good sites on my own, I think pay sites would be my best option. My students find more fossil than I do in the school playground.

Do they search your finds before you leave and decide what is too rare for you to keep?

West of Colorado Springs, Colorado, is the Town of Florrisant, Colorado, home to the Florrisant Fossil Beds National Monument. Also close by is a privately owned fee collecting site. What they do is provide you a box of shale and the splitting tools and you open the shale to find leaf prints and occasionally insects. you keep what you find.

Its a good site for kids. It can be frustrating for serious collectors because you can't dig your own shale. There are hundreds of acres of fossil shale land there I don't know why some one does'nt open a decent collecting quarry.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

A friend of a friend has a small private dig going on their land near Florrisant; it is very fossiliferous, having even given up a bird.

I'm working on 'em... :drool:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!