8/12/17 Matoaka Beach

Miocene_Mason

Yesterday I went on a pretty great hunt. First off let's start with Matoaka Beach, which is not incredibly crowded and had pretty views. Swimming however wouldn't be great since the water was overrun by jellyfish. I hunted for two hours and filled up a cardboard box (bad idea, gets soggy) with fossils. I'm a complete noob so I don't own a sieve (I'll probably get own eventually) so the hunt for sharks teeth was quickly abandoned (except for the elusive meg, one of which was found the day before I heard, 'bout 5 inches. I found none.) this place is SO much better than Calvert cliffs because you can actually hunt in front of the cliffs rather than the fossils having to be washed south (in the process being broken) my hunt for Ecphora was fruitless, only pieces. I have so many complete chesapectans I'm gonna have to make some sort of display case for them, I might have to do a contest because they are taking up to much space! I did find one top and bottom chesapecten (nefrens btw). This is all Choptank formation, I believe once you get to the power plant, the Calvert formation has dipped under. Without further ado, here are my finds from the first half of the day (might be a while before all are uploaded):

1) Astrhelia palmata

2) Panopea (sp.?)

3) chesapecten nefrens

4) stienkern with a little shell, don't know the genus/species

IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Biggest scallop of the day, 5 inch width and height (at widest and tallest of course)

i would use a ruler, but I have a crappy one (:fingerscrossed: maybe I win @aerogrower's contest. If not I'll have to buy a cube (boo!boo!:P)

image.jpg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Smallest about on centimeter both ways

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Echinoid?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Clam of some sort?

image.jpg

image.jpg

^top and bottom^

Happy hunting,

Mason

Turritella sp? Feel free to give IDs btw

image.jpg

Ootolith?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ecphora pieces

image.jpg

Another echinoid:

image.jpg

Shell? Stienkern? Coral?

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Lingula, modern? Hinge still flexible

image.jpg

Tied for smallest scallop,attached to a sandollar

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Only bone of the day, don't now what or where in the body it's from.

image.jpg

IMG_2801.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ray tooth, only chondricthyian

IMG_2802.JPG

More Ecphorae

IMG_2803.JPG

Lingula?fossil?

IMG_2804.JPG

Clam?

IMG_2806.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

Perfect hole, boring sponge?

IMG_2805.JPG

Biggest turritella, bout an inch

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Due to the lag this amount of pictures is generating, that's all the matoaka finds I'm gonna put up here. Except for this last oyster, and the friendly neighborhood venomous snake. You almost wish it was a rattler so you knew it was there, scared me half to death (if it bite me may have been the other half) not sure the species, brain screamed copperhead and cottonmouth out at me, could just be a water snake though. Any way, after this hunt i decided might as well take a look at Douglas point while we were down south. I'll post that shortly on a new thread. Cheers!

IMG_2763.JPG

Oyster

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

This isn't to the finds of the other half of the day

Happy hunting,

Mason

23 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like You had a nice day.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, it was really fun! Thanks for the reply!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like a good day. Your echinoid pieces and otolith are all pieces of Abertella. The hole in the shell was drilled by a gastropod. The long bivalve are a type of clam, not Lingula. Lingula are hinged in the rear.

2 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like a good day. Your echinoid pieces and otolith are all pieces of Abertella. The hole in the shell was drilled by a gastropod. The long bivalve are a type of clam, not Lingula. Lingula are hinged in the rear.

Thank you! All the information is much appreciated!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, Al Dente said:

The snake is most likely a Northern Watersnake. It's harmless.

Well that's good, I can go back without fear of snake (although there probably are some venomous ones out there

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

Nice finds!

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

Nice report and finds! Glad you had a good hunt.

Thanks everyone! Was certainly a good time!

Happy hunting,

Mason

A nice selection of shells from the Cottages though a few of them I suspect are modern, but most are definitely fossils. Congratulations. The Chesapecten is especially impressive. Glad to hear that it turned out to be a good time, in light of your previous disappointing experience at the Cliffs. Did you collect any tree oysters? They're huge and impressive, but very fragile. I picked up an excellent specimen last time I was there and it split right in half. 

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

A nice selection of shells from the Cottages though a few of them I suspect are modern, but most are definitely fossils. Congratulations. The Chesapecten is especially impressive. Glad to hear that it turned out to be a good time, in light of your previous disappointing experience at the Cliffs. Did you collect any tree oysters? They're huge and impressive, but very fragile. I picked up an excellent specimen last time I was there and it split right in half. 

Yeah it was fun, I'm probably being to critical of the cliffs, I just hated the rules. You mean these:P they are also called tree oysters I found those at Douglas point. Under are more pictures of what may be tree oysters, I'm slightly confused as to what they are

IMG_2774.JPG

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Check the Calvert Marine Museum's excellent website. They have a fossil ID section that's good for the most common finds on the Cliffs. Tree oysters are in there. 

14 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Check the Calvert Marine Museum's excellent website. They have a fossil ID section that's good for the most common finds on the Cliffs. Tree oysters are in there. 

Thanks fo that, now I can id some finds better! The orange one at that top there I think is worn one, that's the only one I have. I don't remember seeing a ton of them, but I was mainly focusing on looking for megs, Ecphoras, and vertebrates. Next time I'm there I'll look for one.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived