Miocene_Mason

After this trip

I decided that rather than another day take a two hour drive to Douglas point/purse state park that I would take the one hour drive from saint leonard. Eventually we got there, and I was amazed at the amount of shark teeth, the waves just brought them like sand. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration but they were common. Here's my finds, feel free to offer opinions (I am especially hopeless with sharks teeth IDs) 

lignite?

image.jpg

Tons of turritella there, I only took two

image.jpg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Little croc tooth with some bone attached, first thing I found

image.jpg

Turtle scute?

image.jpg

Croc head bone

image.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Unidentifiable, probably croc, bones

image.jpg

Coprolite? Could be wishful thinking but I think i see a faint spiral which mean chondrichythian

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ray teeth, super common here

image.jpg

Super worn sharks teeth

image.jpg

Otodus?

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sand tigers?

image.jpg

Internal gastropod molds

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

shell with both sides

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's all, I spent about twenty minutes there.

Btw Piscataway member of the Aquia formation

Happy hunting,

Mason

20 minutes ago, ynot said:

Another nice location to go.

Thanks for sharing.

Just now, gavialboy said:

thanks for the awesome trip report looks like a good trip.

Yes it's a great (and free) location, I highly recommend it. Thanks! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, Arizona Chris said:

amazing sharks teeth!

Thanks! Really, you sit there long enough and they come to you.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Okay I think I just caught my first mistake, one of my otoduses might actually be a cretolamna, and I think mixed with both groups are a few goblin sharks. This is the one I believe to be cretolamna

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

Nice finds! Congratulations! 

Thank you!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Those ' turritella' I think are a modern Gastropod- you can find live ones...here is a sample of their older relative

IMG_3614.JPG

5 minutes ago, cck said:

Those ' turritella' I think are a modern Gastropod- you can find live ones...here is a sample of their older relative

IMG_3614.JPG

Would be mighty strange because they are filled with sandstone, and some internals casts as well as some in the rock....

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, cck said:

Sorry, the ones in your picture just looked liked the modern ones that are ubiquitous there...

1 minute ago, cck said:

And I'm seeing goblins not otodus? I could be wrong...

Thank you for alerting me to the living relatives being there, I just don't think that these are those. You very well may be seeing goblins, I am new to shark teeth and frequently get IDs wrong, I know at least a few are otoduses though. One I think is a cretolamna as well, I'm still trying to sort it all out....

thanks for your help!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Congrats on that croc tooth. Nice way to start the day. They aren't all that common there. I would have to see large individual pictures to confirm if you have any Otodus there. Complete, unbroken individuals are about as common as the croc teeth- in other words they're pretty rare. Sand tigers come in a variety of sizes and shapes and constitute about 90% of the finds. I can see that a number of your "otodus" finds are in fact sand tigers but I can't be sure about all of them. The shells you showed are modern. In fact the Potomac beaches are covered with modern shells, primarily gastropods. Fossils shells are there too- primarily internal molds and usually in matrix except for the abundant oyster shells washing right out of the cliffs. All in all a nice sample of what can be found there. Multiple trips there should build up a collection of the rarer stuff. A very rewarding site in my opinion/

On 8/13/2017 at 9:48 AM, WhodamanHD said:

After this trip

I decided that rather than another day take a two hour drive to Douglas point/purse state park that I would take the one hour drive from saint leonard. Eventually we got there, and I was amazed at the amount of shark teeth, the waves just brought them like sand. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration but they were common. Here's my finds, feel free to offer opinions (I am especially hopeless with sharks teeth IDs) 

lignite?

image.jpg

Tons of turritella there, I only took two

image.jpg

The gastropods in the photo above do appear to be of the extant variety that literally cover the shoreline all around Douglas Point and Purse.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

1 hour ago, cck said:

I'm far from an expert, it's just my home ground...

Oh, your probably a lot closer than me, I trust your opinion better than mine, and Jeffery p. Just confirmed your suspicions so thank you again, I was about to initiate a trade! Some are in the stone, I assume these ones had the sandstone washed into them.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congrats on that croc tooth. Nice way to start the day. They aren't all that common there. I would have to see large individual pictures to confirm if you have any Otodus there. Complete, unbroken individuals are about as common as the croc teeth- in other words they're pretty rare. Sand tigers come in a variety of sizes and shapes and constitute about 90% of the finds. I can see that a number of your "otodus" finds are in fact sand tigers but I can't be sure about all of them. The shells you showed are modern. In fact the Potomac beaches are covered with modern shells, primarily gastropods. Fossils shells are there too- primarily internal molds and usually in matrix except for the abundant oyster shells washing right out of the cliffs. All in all a nice sample of what can be found there. Multiple trips there should build up a collection of the rarer stuff. A very rewarding site in my opinion/

I'll post more pictures of the individual teeth, thanks for confirming the age of the snails. I'll definitely get out there again soon!

Happy hunting,

Mason

52 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

The gastropods in the photo above do appear to be of the extant variety that literally cover the shoreline all around Douglas Point and Purse.

Thx, they had sandstone pushed up inside somehow which tricked me.

Happy hunting,

Mason