Max-fossils

Hi all,

I found this big piece of bone yesterday on the Zandmotor (Netherlands) (Pleistocene).  Most probably from a large mammal. Anyone know what part of the body it might be, and from what animal?

Thanks in advance,

Max

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

48 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Looks like a spinous process of a vertebra.

Maybe Proboscidean? Or Bison?

I'm thinking the same thing.

Like your ruler btw :D

I looked at mastodon and bison vertebrae in my collection (I don't have any mammoth verts), and proboscidean doesn't seem like s good match, but Bison is much closer to your specimen.  Hopefully, someone more familiar with large mammal verts will chime in soon.

Sub-adult mastodon:

Resized_20170813_195921.thumb.jpeg.c4084089a6dfacb8d34bc9f89d4f1259.jpeg

Fossil Bison (antiquus? latifrons?):

Resized_20170813_200230.thumb.jpeg.a5c091fc7a4ae9019c2e061868bb3aa9.jpeg

MY bison (right) next to your fossil:

20170813_200339.thumb.jpg.b22603b16dfee82f834128b9b00e8bff.jpg

Found only one good Mastodon process 2 years back , another item for comparison:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@Peat Burns @Doctor Mud @Shellseeker

Thans a lot for the help!

I agree with spinous process, those extra pictures are very helpful. I talked to another person too, who often hunts on the Zandmotor, and he also agrees with spinous process. He wasn't able to say from what animal though. Spinous process of a bison seems like an ok match, plus bison can be found often here; but I see a difference: the concave areas don't have the same shape. Maybe it's because this one is from a different vertebra (as in the vertebra position was different)?

Thanks again,

Max

PS: @Doctor Mud, I like that ruler too, thanks :ighappy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Archived