Again i need help :D

Darko

53 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

Yes - looking at one if these new images on the screen - not my phone - I can see the rings a lot clearer.

Otoliths can be quite good indicators of fish species and even the age of the fish. Looks like there are at least 4 otoliths so at least two individuals.

Each ring should be a period of growth, correct? Thicker are time of plenty. That should be interesting to look at. How would one tell the species through the otoliths?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Doctor Mud said:

Yes - looking at one if these new images on the screen - not my phone - I can see the rings a lot clearer.

Otoliths can be quite good indicators of fish species and even the age of the fish. Looks like there are at least 4 otoliths so at least two individuals.

So can we know for which species of fish are we talking about?

17 hours ago, ynot said:

I would say those look like fish coprolite.

Lets see what @GeschWhat and @Carl have to say.

I'd say that's a pretty good candidate for coprolite (or regurtitalite). Was the age mentioned?

28 minutes ago, Carl said:

I'd say that's a pretty good candidate for coprolite (or regurtitalite). Was the age mentioned?

miocene.

4 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Well, it's probably the remains of a meal at any rate, no matter whether it came out of the front or the back :P

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Well, it's probably the remains of a meal at any rate, no matter whether it came out of the front or the back :P

I'm looking forward to what @GeschWhat thinks. It looks like it definitely came out one end of something. I initially thought that coprolites would have more form than this, then I thought, not necessarily. enough said :blink:

2 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I'm looking forward to what @GeschWhat thinks. It looks like it definitely came out one end of something. I initially thought that coprolites would have more form than this, then I thought, not necessarily. enough said :blink:

I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have opened up this subject in the first place. I think my granddaughter caught wind of it and left a recent deposit on the back seat of my car this morning while we were on the way to a fossil collecting pit in Holzmaden :P

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have opened up this subject in the first place. I think my granddaughter caught wind of it and left a recent deposit on the back seat of my car this morning while we were on the way to a fossil collecting pit in Holzmaden :P

Oh well ....at least you are on your way to a fossil site in Holzmaden! That's gotta take some of the sting out of that... accident.

Geological settings:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Oh well ....at least you are on your way to a fossil site in Holzmaden! That's gotta take some of the sting out of that... accident.

It did. The kids are happy and the car is now clean again.

38 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

It did. The kids are happy and the car is now clean again.

Can't wait to see what you found if you are going to post.

I went to the museum and the pit across the road back in 2004. I drove there on the Autobahn for the first time in a fairly crappy hatchback. It struggled to get much over 130 km/h.

I would love to return with someone who knows what they are doing.

5 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Can't wait to see what you found if you are going to post.

I went to the museum and the pit across the road back in 2004. I drove there on the Autobahn for the first time in a fairly crappy hatchback. It struggled to get much over 130 km/h.

I would love to return with someone who knows what they are doing.

As usual, I forgot my camera :P My goal was to help the kids have a good time and they were pleased as punch with all the nice little gold ammos they found. I wasn't in it for myself this time around, since I actually have enough of this ammonite material in my collection anyway. It would have been nice to have spotted some Ichthyosaurier bits, but they're few and far between there and I saw no signs of them yesterday. Our member @belemniten knows his way around the shale pit Schieferbruch Kromer very well and often comes up with teeth and vertebra, so maybe he'd be happy to show you around if you happen to come over again.

Nice to hear that your kids found some nice ammonites in Holzmaden ! 

But I think that you caught a bad time to visit Holzmaden. I suppose that you visit the quarry Kromer? They don't have much material now ....

The best chance to find teeth and bones is in the "Schlacke". This is a layer with lots of fish parts so it's relatively easy to see. 

You can let me know @Doctor Mud , if you visit the area again. Otherwise you can always ask the people, who "keep an eye" on the quarry. 

But I think we shouldn't deviate too much from the original topic. ;)

Whatever it is, it's a nice find ! 

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

On 8/14/2017 at 1:24 PM, Carl said:

Sorry for the late response. I was out looking for poop in Nordakota! I agree with Carl. The picture is a little fuzzy, so I can't tell which it is. If it is mostly a pile of undigested goodies, I'd say it is more likely a regurtitalite. If there is a good amount of homogeneous, nongranular material included, I would lean more toward coprolite. Super cool either way!

2 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Sorry for the late response. I was out looking for poop in Nordakota! I agree with Carl. The picture is a little fuzzy, so I can't tell which it is. If it is mostly a pile of undigested goodies, I'd say it is more likely a regurtitalite. If there is a good amount of homogeneous, nongranular material included, I would lean more toward coprolite. Super cool either way!

Thanks!

Hi,

Sorry for my late answer, I just come back holidays...

May I see close-up of "otoliths" please to be able to tell you please ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:28 AM, Ludwigia said:

Did she regurgitated ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived