Deep Springs 8-13-17

Darktooth

It has been awhile since me and my boys have been to Deep Springs. I decided to go today and I brought along my Dad and brother. It was the first time either of them have came along for this type of fossilhunt. Both have gone sharktooth hunting with me. We got there around 11:45. The sun was out in full force. I found plenty Dipleura parts and pieces, but unfortunately no whole ones.

Dylan my middle boy, found a lot of Greenops pieces including his most complete to date. He was happy with himself. Everyone else was finding the common brach, gastros, bivalves, and other assorted goodies. Two guys showed up and we talked for a little bit. The one guy said he was a fossil forum lurker. A highlight of the day was finding a nest of snake eggs mixed in with the rubble. But I feel bad because I think I broke two of the eggs open by accident. The babies were still alive but I am not sure they were ready to hatch. Later I caught, what may have been the mother.

My brother really didn't do much , but my Dad took I chisel and hammer and made some good finds for a newbie. We stayed till about 2:30. All in all it was a nice day to be there. I was glad to has my dad and brother along as well. I made my best find of the day on the way out. A nice little Greenops just laying on the ground waiting to be picked up.

20170813_163722.jpg

20170813_163732.jpg

20170813_163746.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Here is the Greenops I found on the way out.20170813_173153.jpg.76de6fe5ecdad1137a6540e3ad5f4c5b.jpg

Always good to get the family fossil hunting! Great finds!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Oooh, that's a real nice Greenops, Dave! Pretty decent chunk of Dipleura too!  Boy, what I'd give to go hunting again with my dad. I'm happy you're still seizing your opportunity. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thanks for the comments guys! I will post more pics later. I am wiped out right now. I think its nap time!

Dave, 

I'm pretty sure that Greenops you found was one that I accidentally left behind. :rolleyes: 

S'okay, though, you can give it to me next time we see each other. :P 

Nice report and finds, sir. 

Thanks for posting this. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Dave,

Don't listen to Tim. That Greenops was the one I left. Seriously, congratulations. Sounds like you and your family had a great time. I thought we had cleaned the place out last time we were there. 

@Fossildude19 @Jeffrey P I will let you both duke it out. Winner gets the Greenops! No way has that place been cleaned out Jeff. But I will say that I am putting a small dent in it with this years trips! 

3 hours ago, Pagurus said:

Oooh, that's a real nice Greenops, Dave! Pretty decent chunk of Dipleura too!  Boy, what I'd give to go hunting again with my dad. I'm happy you're still seizing your opportunity. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Mike

I have had the pleasure of fossil hunting with my Dad a few times over the years. He went with me to Big Brook the first time I ever went. He has been to Brownies Beach, Flag Ponds, Mataoka cottages, and Purse state park with me multiple times. Also he has done some crystal collecting with me in Pennsylvania. I introduced him to this. When I was a child he introduced me tohunting, fishing and camping. Though fossil hunting isn't really his thing. He has enjoyed it to a certain degree. But I think he just enjoys spending the time with me. When we first started going to Calvert Cliffs, the first couple years we would stay for 3-4 days. It was great time spent with him. We would end everyday with a good meal and drinks at Traders resturant, and a few other places. 

Nice trilos, Dave!  Add a fun day with the family and I call this a very successful hunt - congrats!!!

Monica