Is this a piece of bone?

jeff smisek

Hi, I'm new around here! I work in a railyard and we have small pieces of rocks (ballast) everywhere. I often find awesome rocks, but today I found this which, to me, looks like a piece of bone fused to some blue-grey quartz? Can anyone confirm? I am in Denver, Colorado. Thanks!

20170813_170401-768x1365.jpg

20170813_170421-768x1365.jpg

20170813_170433-768x1365.jpg

Well first off, if it's quartz there won't be bone attached, the heat required to generate quartz would destroy any bone. I don't think it's quartz though, doesn't look right. Maybe calcite? The "bone" I think may be volcanic. Others may confirm or deny this suspicion.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to TFF!

There are quartzites that form in cool environments, and it is common to find agatized bone and other types of fossils.

This piece is a quartzite (can not tell what type.) and has some limonite (iron oxide) attached to it.

It is not bone, but it does have a semblance to bone.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

There are quartzites that form in cool environments, and it is common to find agatized bone and other types of fossils.

This piece is a quartzite (can not tell what type.) and has some limonite (iron oxide) attached to it.

It is not bone, but it does have a semblance to bone.

Thanks a lot! :)