Sand dollar fossil?

Benjaminpb

I found this in a local creek here in central Texas and I think it's part of a sand dollar encased in limestone. I'm probably wrong though. Any ideas? Thank's!

IMG_4264.JPG

IMG_4265.JPG

Hmm.. I've never heard of a sand dollar pattern as seen near the rim. Can you tell us where exactly you found it (like name of creek, nearest settlement, area name, etc), it actually helps us alot.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Here are a couple of pictures off Google for some Texas echinoids, compare to what you have.

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thanks for the pictures. However, I have a few of those. From what I understand, those are sea urchins. This appears to be more flat than an urchin. I'm thinking that maybe it's a broken sand dollar. I'm actually hoping I'm wrong because being wrong is more interesting.

I'm pretty sure that it's from some kind of (very worn) sea urchin. Here are pieces of worn sea urchins in my collection. They come from a beach near Sevilla, Spain; so not at all from the same location. But the pattern is very similar.

IMG_0836.JPG

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I agree it looks like a worn urchin.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It is a partial worn fossil echinoid. The ambulacral double-rows of pores (the petal region) are still visible.

IMG_4264.JPG.c68a3414a506cc7ff56ae05e18b0e184.JPG.3ff0508a83e23876beb23a87cb59dd47.JPGinterambulacra.jpg.404ced3f4bd2969721073823a7875f4a.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On August 14, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Benjaminpb said:

Thanks for the pictures. However, I have a few of those. From what I understand, those are sea urchins. This appears to be more flat than an urchin. I'm thinking that maybe it's a broken sand dollar. I'm actually hoping I'm wrong because being wrong is more interesting.

It's too old to be a sand dollar. The first sand dollars appeared in the Eocene.

I did not know that. That's what I love about the fossil forum. I learn something new every day!