A possible fish fin?

Darko

2 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Looks more like plant material to me.  I see no structure indicative of a fish fin.

Don

Thanks anyway.✌

Sorry for only giving a destructive ID, but I agree with @FossilDAWG that this doesn't look like a fish fin at all. 

Not sure what kind of plant material it would be though, not recognizing anything "planty". 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Looks like fish ribs or something of the like to me, sorry to muddy the water.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree with plant material - doesn't look like any kind of bone or rib to me. :unsure: 

Plant material can take on many different shapes and textures. 

Not enough there to hazard a guess as to what type of plant though, in my opinion. 

Regards,

WP_20170814_19_00_29_Pro.jpg.8dab56dea7fdc32f65810e5e81281bfa.jpg      WP_20170814_19_01_12_Pro.jpg.c7059fd044d0af248b868d9f24656281.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Maybe it's a plant remain, but just crossed my mind the idea of a fossil skate/ray/shark egg case. Somehow it looks like that. serbian_eggcase_guide.pdf

serbian_eggcase_guide.thumb.jpg.b1666bd3d1f7388697e092e3f0403bce.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

From other threads that concern this site, I gather that it was a freshwater lake similar to the green river formation.

I know that does not rule out shark, but it greatly reduces the probability of a shark.

I think it looks like a shred of bark.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

There were also skates and rays, in the Miocene. Do you know how were those lakes formed?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

There were also skates and rays, in the Miocene. Do you know how were those lakes formed?

Closing of a channel connecting it to the ocean, it was originally a sea.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That's why I asked. :)

Related to this subject, an important document I came across (I see good names), is K.Sant et al. 2016. Age and evolution of the Serbian Lake System: integrated results from Middle Miocene Lake Popovac. Newsletters on Stratigraphy, , which could be the key for the determination of fossil finds released by Danko in his topics.

" During the Early to Middle Miocene large parts of Central Europe were covered by the Paratethys Sea that had phases of good and restricted connectivity to the Mediterranean. Paratethys diminished and expanded through time by a complex combination of climate variability, sea level change, and geodynamic processes of Alpine tectonics, for example uplift of the Alps and the Carpathians and subsidence of the Pannonian back-arc basin (e. g., Rögl 1998). During the latest Early Miocene, the Central Paratethys sea mainly occupied the northwestern part of the Pannonian Basin in Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. In the early Middle Miocene this sea expanded to the southeastern Pannonian Basin in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia, to the Transylvanian Basin in Romania, and to the Carpathian foredeep (e. g., Kováč et al. 2003, Harzhauser and Piller 2007, Mandic et al. 2012).
In the same time span a series of basins, filled with lacustrine deposits, developed in the Dinarides, northern Croatia and Serbia (Fig. 1). These dominantly intramontane basins were disconnected from both Mediterranean and Paratethys which gave rise to the development of regional bioprovinces with their own specific endemic faunal assemblages of mollusks and ostracods (Harzhauser and Mandic, 2008, Krstić et al. 2012, Neubauer et al. 2015a). The endemic fauna, together with the lack of magnetostratigraphic and radioisotopic dating, hampered a thorough understanding of the age and evolution of the Dinaride and Serbian basins. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

15 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

That's why I asked. :)

Related to this subject, an important document I came across (I see good names), is K.Sant et al. 2016. Age and evolution of the Serbian Lake System: integrated results from Middle Miocene Lake Popovac. Newsletters on Stratigraphy, , which could be the key for the determination of fossil finds released by Danko in his topics.

" During the Early to Middle Miocene large parts of Central Europe were covered by the Paratethys Sea that had phases of good and restricted connectivity to the Mediterranean. Paratethys diminished and expanded through time by a complex combination of climate variability, sea level change, and geodynamic processes of Alpine tectonics, for example uplift of the Alps and the Carpathians and subsidence of the Pannonian back-arc basin (e. g., Rögl 1998). During the latest Early Miocene, the Central Paratethys sea mainly occupied the northwestern part of the Pannonian Basin in Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. In the early Middle Miocene this sea expanded to the southeastern Pannonian Basin in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia, to the Transylvanian Basin in Romania, and to the Carpathian foredeep (e. g., Kováč et al. 2003, Harzhauser and Piller 2007, Mandic et al. 2012).
In the same time span a series of basins, filled with lacustrine deposits, developed in the Dinarides, northern Croatia and Serbia (Fig. 1). These dominantly intramontane basins were disconnected from both Mediterranean and Paratethys which gave rise to the development of regional bioprovinces with their own specific endemic faunal assemblages of mollusks and ostracods (Harzhauser and Mandic, 2008, Krstić et al. 2012, Neubauer et al. 2015a). The endemic fauna, together with the lack of magnetostratigraphic and radioisotopic dating, hampered a thorough understanding of the age and evolution of the Dinaride and Serbian basins. "

Interesting stuff! Only my name is Darko not Danko :)

Sorry, I'm involved in multiple things, one of those is my cat.  :blush:

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 minute ago, abyssunder said:

Sorry, I'm involved in multiple things, one of those is my cat.  :blush:

Haha,no problem ✌