Green River Fish Prep

Ptychodus04

7 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Ptychodus04 very nice. I'll probably head there myself on Saturday. We are moving into our new home in the middle of September and I'll boot up my server and load up your website.

Awesome. I have a couple of new photos to add. :blink:

Just now, Ptychodus04 said:

Awesome. I have a couple of new photos to add. :blink:

Good! I visited yesterday and ran out of popcorn. :P Still a wee bit of lag connecting.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

Good! I visited yesterday and ran out of popcorn. :P Still a wee bit of lag connecting.

:rofl:

I think @Fossil-Hound is rather inconsiderate, accepting a job with good pay near his family and just shutting down his server that I'm paying absolutely nothing for space on. Geez, the nerve of some people. :P (We need a gratuitous sarcasm emoji)

The worst part part is I'm about to have no excuse for not uploading new photos. :D

13 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

:rofl:

I think @Fossil-Hound is rather inconsiderate, accepting a job with good pay near his family and just shutting down his server that I'm paying absolutely nothing for space on. Geez, the nerve of some people. :P (We need a gratuitous sarcasm emoji)

The worst part part is I'm about to have no excuse for not uploading new photos. :D

Lol. I think we'll be holding you to regular updates. The site is looking good, and all it needs is... "moar content!" :D 

53 minutes ago, Kane said:

Lol. I think we'll be holding you to regular updates. The site is looking good, and all it needs is... "moar content!" :D 

I'm such a troglodyte when it comes to pop culture, I had to google your quoted phrase to understand the statement! 

@Kane @Ptychodus04 and @JohnBrewer you all are a bunch of cyber trolls! Ok Kris you payed me in fossils but nevertheless those were some very large ammonites so I definitely need to get the server up ASAP. There are some changes I'll be making to ensure the website formats nicely for iPhones, Android phones, and tablets. I could check in that code now and redeploy when I get the server up in September. As for the pay it's phenomenal. Making about 30% more than I was for the feds and I'm cashing in on overtime. We'll definitely pay off our mortgage much faster than anticipated as long as I can keep up this salary (working 9 hours a day). :muahaha: I also see a nice prep lab with a sweet looking microscope coming my way soon. :fingerscrossed:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

7 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Kane @Ptychodus04 and @JohnBrewer you all are a bunch of cyber trolls! Ok Kris you payed me in fossils but nevertheless those were some very large ammonites so I definitely need to get the server up ASAP. There are some changes I'll be making to ensure the website formats nicely for iPhones, Android phones, and tablets. I could check in that code now and redeploy when I get the server up in September. As for the pay it's phenomenal. Making about 30% more than I was for the feds and I'm cashing in on overtime. We'll definitely pay off our mortgage much faster than anticipated as long as I can keep up this salary (working 9 hours a day). :muahaha: I also see a nice prep lab with a sweet looking microscope coming my way soon. :fingerscrossed:

I'm not sure where it all went wrong and I am now associated with the likes of @Kane and @JohnBrewer but I'm sure it will be fun. John has a kilt now (all Kane needs is to come visit me and he'll be hooked on kilts too :D). Wait, I think I found a pic of Kane in a kilt carrying his rock hammer!

Kilt.jpg.36252427d6aa27a71d041bd82a513b84.jpg

I blame @Fossil-Hound for completely hijacking this perfectly harmless thread. :hearty-laugh:

37 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Throw the @Fossil-Hound another petrified bone Kris. That'll get your website sorted.....

IMG_6205.GIF.b4f4b9effad01fe3d38a18e6e5754b38.GIF 

:muahaha: I need a sign that says, "Will code for fossils." haha... Hopefully I'll get a legitimate server soon. Thinking about purchasing one of these:

Dell-R820_1.png

With that I can run a RAID configuration to automatically back up files and they'll all be velociraptor drives (no pun intended) and run at 10k RPM. The future is looking good.

59 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I'm not sure where it all went wrong and I am now associated with the likes of @Kane and @JohnBrewer but I'm sure it will be fun. John has a kilt now (all Kane needs is to come visit me and he'll be hooked on kilts too :D). Wait, I think I found a pic of Kane in a kilt carrying his rock hammer!

Kilt.jpg.36252427d6aa27a71d041bd82a513b84.jpg

Lol, you funny chaps.

But what isn't funny was how much it cost me to pay Estwing for that custom hammer. :P 

And don't let @Fossil-Hound fool you, Kris: he's doing up your site in Basic on a 286 with 5 1/4 floppies. :D 

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Lol, you funny chaps.

But what isn't funny was how much it cost me to pay Estwing for that custom hammer. :P 

And don't let @Fossil-Hound fool you, Kris: he's doing up your site in Basic on a 286 with 5 1/4 floppies. :D 

Somebody call an ambulance because I think my appendix just ruptured from laughing too much. :hearty-laugh:

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

He must work for NASA. I just read an article about NASA testing high level commercial grade processors on the ISS to see what radiation does to them. The ISS is running off a 386!

I think he just got his "server" back up. This image just came through from the spy camera embedded in one of his fossils showing the new computer he just purchased to upgrade his set up.

59a71fff7ce07_Tandy1000SXFirstAdvertisement.thumb.jpg.27e230f59dc2ae2b82390e5cc7abf504.jpg

Just now, Ptychodus04 said:

He must work for NASA. I just read an article about NASA testing high level commercial grade processors on the ISS to see what radiation does to them. The ISS is running off a 386!

I think he just got his "server" back up. This image just came through from the spy camera embedded in one of his fossils showing the new computer he just purchased to upgrade his set up.

59a71fff7ce07_Tandy1000SXFirstAdvertisement.thumb.jpg.27e230f59dc2ae2b82390e5cc7abf504.jpg

That's a real beauty! Not just one, but TWO floppy drives! I bet it runs Win 3.1 and Wordperfect like a dream! Not to mention the ability to play The Oregon Trail for hours!: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Oregon_Trail_The_1990

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 9:31 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks for the confirmation on the ID. It is coming out nicely but man is it tedious to stop after a few mm to consolidate. Under the microscope, it looks like you have a huge area cleared only to discover that a single drop of PVA is too big for the space. :blink:

Just found one of these at @sseth Quarry. I would like to try to prep it on my own as it's all on one slab. What is your air scribe model and air compressor? I'm thinking of buying a compressor and then using that for both an air scribe and air blaster.

On 8/30/2017 at 2:32 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Dear Lord. :rofl:

7 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Just found one of these at @sseth Quarry. I would like to try to prep it on my own as it's all on one slab. What is your air scribe model and air compressor? I'm thinking of buying a compressor and then using that for both an air scribe and air blaster.

I would suggest hand prepping to start. The fish are amazingly fragile and the scribes have quite a learning curve.

But, to answer your question, my compressor is a Central Pneumatic 61454 from Harbor Freight and the smallest scribe I have is a Paleo Tools Micro Jack 4. That scribe is a little big for these fish.