bivalvia near Fernie, British Columbia

elaliquo

Hard to tell without a clear side view, but appears to be like a brachiopod from the  family Athyrididae (Order Athyridida).  Maybe you can dissolve this from the limestone and get a good 3d look at it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Hi @elaliquo,

Nice find! Here is a geological map of Canada. If you more or less situate Fernie there, it is probably in the blue. This means that it's from somewhere in the Paleozoic. Both bivalves and brachiopods existed back then, but brachiopods were way more common. Though with these pictures I am more leaning towards bivalve, I can't be sure, as the pictures are kinda fuzzy. Could you please take better quality pictures, and from more angles too?

Best regards,

Max

Geology_Map_of_Canada_1972.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Bivalve or brachiopod, whatever it is - I like this specimen with its perfect prep work by mother nature very much!

Franz Bernhard

Thank you all! I don't have access to the fossil at this point, so no more pictures, but your info is fantastic.

Hi, according to me, seeing the first photo, it might be a brachiopod. Maybe could you try to take a pic of this part from the side in order that we can see its profile.

IMG_1157-1.thumb.JPG.93618c92fb40f3665fac5bd8525905f4.JPG.1384405482092c5de35ae438fb95fe6c.JPG

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

A generalized geological map of the second largest country in the world will not provide nearly enough local resolution to help determine the age of this fossil.  The geology around Fernie is particularly complicated as it sits in a valley underlaid by Jurassic shales, surrounded by high mountains composed of Paleozoic rocks ranging from Ordovician to Mississippian in age.  The fossil has eroded from its limestone matrix in a manner that indicates it has been replaced by silica.  This preservation excludes an origin in the Jurassic shales.  The Ordovician and Silurian are not extensively exposed in the area, and the rock is mostly limestone that has been altered to dolomite, quite different from the fossil in question.  Most of the mountains is composed of Mississippian limestone of the Banff  and Rundle Formations.  In many layers the fossils are silicified and weather free from the rock.  One of these Mississippian formations is certainly the source of the specimen.

It is unfortunate that none of the photos clearly show the "beak" of the shell, but the overall aspect is very suggestive of a brachiopod such as Athyris (as has been suggested) or Composita.  Also, it is common for the brachiopods (and corals) to be silicified but not the bivalves in the area formations, likely reflecting differences in the original shell composition.

Don C

• I found this Informative 5