Rockwood

Fish Check

Rockwood

Is this purchase correctly identified ?

I sort of hope not.

IMG_4393a.jpg

jpenn

This a quick take and I am very open to correction by ones more knowledgeable in the field but I believe the ID to be correct. This appears to be the dorsal view of a Lycoptera with heavy application of paint, on the fins especially. It is possible that the pectoral fins may be extensively faked with paint. The color and lamination of the matrix matches the look of Lycoptera commonly available from Liaoning.

Fossildude19

I agree with @jpenn.

Lycoptera davidi, from Liaoning, China, not Lebanon. 

Extensively painted. There is a real fossil under there, but all of the coloring to this fish looks to be painted on. 

Regards, 

doushantuo

Lycoptera ( Pan et al :):

Normally i don't do this ,but it's just above the limit(3.9 MB)and the link to the PDF is terribly long:angry:;

It should get you the paper,though

h8c.jpg

lycoptscorpburg5t6hb.jpg

deras.jpg

Rockwood

There goes my faith in that shop owner. I didn't have a lens with me when told the sales girl it looked like a decal. She texted a photo to the owner and I  was assured it was all natural. Under a lens it does indeed look like a painting. I was still holding out hope that it could be a mislabeled exceotoides from a site with unusual preservation though.

Thanks for setting me strait. 

Foozil
24 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

There goes my faith in that shop owner.

Yeah, thats a bummer. Its just not OK to lie and tell people its untouched, makes me kinda sad. :( 

Rockwood

To be fair they may have been fooled themselves. It's a shame the painter wasted their talent this way. For what it is, it is an excellent job. I thought it very well could be a form of preservation.

Foozil
18 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

To be fair they may have been fooled themselves. It's a shame the painter wasted their talent this way. For what it is, it is an excellent job. I thought it very well could be a form of preservation.

Definitely well done. Certainly had me fooled :blink: 

RJB

A shame.  Dont feel too bad thoough.  I think most of us have been fooled a time or two.  Several times for me. 

RB