Is this a trilobite or something else?

hooga

My 11 year old son found this fossil while on vacation this weekend.  It was our first trip fossil hunting!  Our new friend Beverly Sandlin suggested we post to the forum for identification.  Any information would be very much appreciated! He's very excited to learn more!

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG

I've seen spiriferids that can look like this when in the stone, but orthocone is probably a better guess.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

17 minutes ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

Where was this found?

I think it is an orthocone cephalopod.

18 minutes ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

Where was this found?

I think it is an orthocone cephalopod.

Thank you! Found in Southeastern MN.

I agree with ynot

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Eleven years old... a perfect age to get started.

Geologic map of Minnesota so your son can know how old his fossil is. Click on it to enlarge.small%20geology%20map%20minnesota_1.jpg

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

It is a nice orthoconic nautiloid internal mold.

IMG_2389.JPG.4ba8fbb29cc08577d062ccb1b4a3da4c.thumb.JPG.97952dfcefbbfb43c7f5be4cda4254e0.JPGOrdNautiloidInternalMold.thumb.jpg.676cb968ce48d4f4262ff881b6d06e94.jpg

By Wilson44691 - Own work, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4785529

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

They had a GREAT HUNT! and found some awesome fossils!

Ordovician

Galena Formation, probably Stewartville member of the Galena. Found at Masonic Park here in Fillmore County.

She shared these photos with me. Probably should go into Fossil Hunting Trips as they had a great time!  :-D

Hugo.Sands family masonic cave.jpg

bs.rocks.jpg

bs. trex.jpg

bs.fossils.jpg

bs.fossil 2.jpg

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

those last coupla pix were great ,Bev.

Looks like fun was had by all!!

That "mysterious cave" pic is wonderful

The first fossil my daughter found was on the floor of that cave in a pile of gravel! I can't believe she spotted it!  We had so much fun!

orthocone paleobiology: recrystallized Orthocone with possible ink sac ,Bohemia.Living chamber a steinkern,the rest being affected by recrystallization.3/4 natural size

Haven't read this one yet,the u/v shaped depression might be primary(perhaps hyponomic sinus?)

berycofimages.jpg

53 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

those last coupla pix were great ,Bev.

Looks like fun was had by all!!

That "mysterious cave" pic is wonderful

Isn't that a GREAT pic! I've never seen one like that! Thanks to hooga and her trusty timer.  :-)

I have not been up in that cave as my balance (strokes) is too precarious. But that is a vacation those kids are unlikely to forget! They caught the fossil bug!  LOL  :-D

I have been so outrageously busy here with Airbnb and taking others out fossil hunting I haven't hardly had a chance to hunt myself or even keep up my blog.  :-(  But I've had some serious bouts of fossil envy with what others have found! Plus I was asked to give a presentation on fossils at Mayo Clinic which was really neat.  :-)  So I am still above ground and active with fossils, just buried in work...

1 minute ago, doushantuo said:

orthocone paleobiology: recrystallized Orthocone with possible ink sac ,Bohemia.Living chamber a steinkern,the rest being affected by recrystallization.3/4 natural size

berycofimages.jpg

Incredible preservation!!!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

23 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

so you are "touring the lecture circuit"?:P

No. I just go out to schools, history centers, etc. when asked.  :-)  But Mayo paid!  LOL  :-D

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

This is very good! Keep it up!:thumbsu:

LOL  :-D  Trying to stay above ground!

Go to my

Pinned Posts: