Is this a sea lion

Roberta NJ CA

My father was a fossil hunter and left me the bulk of them.  He and a friend, who owned the property where they were found, collected over the years (50 years or so)  - I went with them twice when I was young.   The identification logs were not found - I believe they were destroyed in a flood.   I've cleaned a few of them by brushing and picking from recall of his work..  This is just one of many, I will send two more picks that may help.   Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

IMG_0082.JPG

download.html

I agree, i also don't see a fossil, but you have the piece in hand and we don't, so photos from all the sides and if possible in daylight would be welcome.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I can see why you thinks it's a sea lion. Flesh really doesn't preserve except from permafrost situations. You have a wonderfuly shaped rock with mineral stains. 

I sent three total... If not received my apologies - I'm new here.   The reason I think its a sea lion is because it was in the "full fossils" crate and I remember seeing the full skull still in  it's matrix that his friend had.   He was told it appeared to a be a sea lion or pinniped.  I also have other large ones that are the same color and texture as the skull with teeth... it was described as a juvenile from its teeth. I can send a picture of another full fossil that shows the color and texture as the sea lion skull.  

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

6 minutes ago, Roberta NJ CA said:

is this a tooth or vertebrate?

sorry, just getting used to posting....

Neither - its not a fossil, instead a suggestively shaped rock. A cool one though :) 

I could be wrong, considering that the area I'm not familiar with is a region with a moderate to high liquefaction potential (and related) due to the seismic activity (fault zone), but the posted pictures reminds me of something like crinoid holdfast, also, there is a good potential for concretionary structures with propagation cracks (like septarian or syneresis), plus there could be a high quantity of iron content, as Tony sees well. It's really hard to say, but I think your father knows why he picked up this specimen. :)

IMG_0087.JPG.01543c75dcc41ac4c3f521b0ab24955b.thumb.JPG.fcfd34a85e9ec748500f3d405eb7acd2.JPGcrinoid-holdfast-waldron-shale-silurian-period-clark-county-indiana-usa.thumb.jpg.86843e8d5c462e43a18072fb55380387.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I believe Scott's Valley deposits are Miocene (extension of Timblar Formation?), so crinoids are out.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Another curious one for sure.  I think the photos are pretty good but there are still some areas that arent in focus just due to the irregular nature of the specimen. They make me wonder what we might be really looking at. I can see a case for alot of things as suggested by the others. At least to me it appears in places that the beige/pinkish areas look like they were either coated with a preservative and it possibly ran or there was even water poured on it to highlight different areas. Am I seeing things? Can you take sharp closeups of these areas I've circled--there are some unusual textures--some of them look almost boney? 

59978a2e1cc0c_Unknownpossibleseal.jpg.12709563227a99edbdb6958a59169cb1.jpg

This may be one example that someone needs to see/hold in person to decipher. 

Regards, Chris 

That was my first thought also, Chris, that the matrix was coated for preservation in some areas, but I've made no remaks on this. I'm glad for your intervention. Could be the flowing traces made by a cyanoacrylate adhesive? The circled portions suggest a spongy structure which might be from bone or sponge, as far I understand their structure.

Thomas Mann

My Library

11 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

That was my first thought also, Chris, that the matrix was coated for preservation in some areas, but I've made no remaks on this. I'm glad for your intervention. Could be the flowing traces made by a cyanoacrylate adhesive? The circled portions suggest a spongy structure which might be from bone or sponge, as far I understand their structure.

Somewhere I have a jaw fragments with some tooth roots from Allodesmus with a very similar color/vague texture. Neither of those are diagnostic keys but just a coincidence that intrigues me about this specimen. I didnt recognize the material as bone/mammal initially either.

Regards, Chris 

I can try...new here.   I'll take close ups pics tomorrow.  THANK YOU for taking the time to help me out here.   I am clearly amateur and have crates to go through.  I promise not to send too many for ID help.   

IMG_0093.JPG

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 4:56 AM, Roberta NJ CA said:

I can try...new here.   I'll take close ups pics tomorrow.  THANK YOU for taking the time to help me out here.   I am clearly amateur and have crates to go through.  I promise not to send too many for ID help.   

At the contrary, don't hesitate to ask for help.:)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 8/18/2017 at 7:56 PM, Roberta NJ CA said:

I am clearly amateur and have crates to go through.  I promise not to send too many for ID help.  

Feel free to post as much as You want. We all like looking at fossils and are happy to try and help.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived