I_gotta_rock

Okay, here's a real stumper. I have five specimens of this shell species, all collected on the beach at Matoaka Cabins, but on various trips. They are all about the same proportions, and all irregular shaped, but with the same growth rings and what looks like maybe attachment area. 

So far, I have looked in Glenn's 1904 volumes, Vokes, Peteuch, Ward, The Calvert Marine Museum web site, a book on Delaware Miocene fossils, and the FF Facebook page. It shouldn't be that hard if I have five of them!

Anyone have a clue?

cup gastropod 1.jpg

cup gastropod 2.jpg

cup gastropod 3.jpg

cup gastropod 4.jpg

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

Reminds me of oxytoma, but it's different and slightly late. Good luck for getting a proper ID!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Or it's obviously a limpet...:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Oh, if it helps anyone at all, the most recent one was pulled from a block of Choptank Formation sand, Drum Cliff Member.

I use a modern shell book to find the genus. This works very well for many if not most neogene mollusks. Then I go to a fossil reference book and look in the index for that genus and proceed from there (as below).

http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/speccol/sc6000/sc6046/000000/000001/000000/000040/pdf/msa_sc6046_1_40.pdf

Cruclbulum,cxxviii;2i).

auricula var. costatum, 245.

constrictum, cvi, cxxviii,

cliv; 246.

costatum, cvl; 244, 245.

costatum var. plleolum, cvl, cxxviii; 245.

multillneata, 246.

multilineatum, xcil, cvl, cxxviii; 246.

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...

And the answer is, in fact Crucibulum! The trick is, this is not the external shell, it is the shelf! That little jagged edge in the top left of the 3rd picture is the point where it was attached to the main shell. No wonder I have several of these. They weren't attached very well but they were pretty good-sized shells, so they snapped at the weakest point consistently.

• I found this Informative 1