Baculites from Littly Smoky River, Alberta

JustPlainPetrified

Another very successful trip to the Little Smoky River this year north of Valleyview, Alberta. River levels had finally receded and we were lucky to be one of the first to pick the banks for exposed baculites. They are mostly fragmented and I have yet to find a complete specimen. No matter the size their colours are brilliant from silvery white, blues, reds and greens. The shimmery colour catches your eye when they are wet and at the waters edge. 

DSCN3303resized.jpg

DSCN3306resized.jpg

DSCN3307resized.jpg

Hi @JustPlainPetrified!

Some of your specimens are huge!!!  They put all of the cephalopods that I've found in my area to shame!!!  I love the iridescence on them - I think I would stare at them all day if I had found them... :P

Congratulations!

Monica

Those quite some pretty cephalopods! Glad you had a successful hunt!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 1 month later...
On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎17 at 4:49 AM, Monica said:

Hi @JustPlainPetrified!

Some of your specimens are huge!!!  They put all of the cephalopods that I've found in my area to shame!!!  I love the iridescence on them - I think I would stare at them all day if I had found them... :P

Congratulations!

Monica

Thanks! We tried a fall trip last weekend and 3 days of rain previous left all the rivers high so no joy at all.

DSCN3711 resized.jpg

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎17 at 5:47 AM, CBOB said:

Love those baculites!  Great finds!

Thanks! No joy at all on our fall trip.

Archived