ProfLeighton

Hi, Im new to the forum and was happy to find it. 

I'm an amateur geologist, and fossil collector. I have excavation experience in late Roman early Christian archaeology in Winchester England back in college, so I still have my trowel and dental tools 

Now I enjoy the hobbies with my son when we take a break from life in Manhattan, New York City. 

I purchased a Mosasaur tooth , from Morocco mines and in the matrix that it came with  I was able to expose another tooth....but what is it??? Its 1.5 in long including the root.

I kind of like the specimen as a clump rather than just two teeth so I stoped exposing more.

Any help greatly appreciated. 

IMG_4110.jpg

43903-24.jpg

@LordTrilobite knows Moroccan fossils better than I, but I would guess fish of some sort (maybe enchodus). Welcome to the forum from Central Maryland! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hi, thanks, WhodamanHD

I looked it up here and there are some great pix... I have to dig around this forum more!!

I wasn't sure if enchodus teeth were round or ridged like this one ; or both even ? This is obviously narrow too? 

Any other suggestions?

All best!

1 minute ago, ProfLeighton said:

Hi, thanks, WhodamanHD

I looked it up here and there are some great pix... I have to dig around this forum more!!

I wasn't sure if enchodus teeth were round or ridged like this one ; or both even ? This is obviously narrow too? 

Any other suggestions?

All best!

Like I said I'm not incredibly confident, and Olof (lord trilobite) should be able to help, since I tagged him he should receive a notification. I think I have a paper that describes and has pictures of teeth from this location somewhere, hope your French is good because that's the language it's in, but I was able just look up species, name doesn't change in different languages. I'll see if I can find that for you. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

http://hybodus.free.fr/maroc/Arambourg%20%20&%20alii%20Vert%E9br%E9s%20fossiles%20des%20gisements%20de%20phosphate.pdf

Got this from @Doctor Mud (thx for that, still working through teeth) it's pretty huge, start at page 367 should be labeled "planches" French for plates, which includes pictures and labels. good luck! You can use this if you don't wanna wait for others opinions.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yup, that looks like an Enchodus fang. They are pretty common.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

OMG! Serious Paper!

The plates are actual size I presume. Can you imagine doing this dissertation? Its a lifetimes work!

I think I found it though .....Enchodus elegans , on plate XXXIII, page 433 #2  , round and striated would fit well.

Now I can photo research other found Enchodus teeth and compare. 

image.png.a6e2f5743375c00082058fb648df018a.png

I enjoyed the paper, would love to find some Lamina Obliqua in matrix- they look cool!  Have to do some research on them!

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Glad you could find it! I found some sharks teeth from there and I'm using the paper to sort them, one I think is a cretolamna but there are so many it's hard to tell! If you like Lamna, the similar Otodus obliquus is found at Douglas point/purse state park in Maryland if you ever take a trip to Maryland, small ones are not to uncommon, big ones are rare. Cretolamnas are to be found as well. Can't imagine doing a paper on small sites with ten - twenty species, so khourigba (no idea if I spelled that right) a huge multistratigraphic area chock full of fossils would be crazy, I bow my head to the author!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hi Shale splitter'

Thank you , any ideas .

Where  you look for fossils in upstate NY ? How can you identify or date  if a slate formation will bear fossils. 

Also , anyone know who has  good Lamna Obliqua samples for sale? I really like the look , 

27 minutes ago, ProfLeighton said:

Hi Shale splitter'

Thank you , any ideas .

Where  you look for fossils in upstate NY ? How can you identify or date  if a slate formation will bear fossils. 

Also , anyone know who has  good Lamna Obliqua samples for sale? I really like the look , 

I'm sure there are Lamna obliqua on the usual auction sites, and with a certain amount of posts, you will gain access to a member to member sales subforum, so you can just ask if people on the fossil forum if they have any to sell. I'm not sure if Lamna obliqua is still considered a valid taxon, it might be absorbed into otodus obliquus now. Btw using a geologic map can help identify fossiliferous formations, and penn Dixie (near buffalo I think, never been but heard of wonderful things) is a Devonian site known for its trilobites. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Glad you could find it! I found some sharks teeth from there and I'm using the paper to sort them, one I think is a cretolamna but there are so many it's hard to tell! If you like Lamna, the similar Otodus obliquus is found at Douglas point/purse state park in Maryland if you ever take a trip to Maryland, small ones are not to uncommon, big ones are rare. Cretolamnas are to be found as well. Can't imagine doing a paper on small sites with ten - twenty species, so khourigba (no idea if I spelled that right) a huge multistratigraphic area chock full of fossils would be crazy, I bow my head to the author!

Glad you found the paper useful. @ProfLeighton it is a serious piece of work! Shame there isn't an English translation. I've been working on translating the bits relevant to me, shark teeth. Although I think you need someone who is fluent in French and maybe also an expert on shark tooth taxonomy/morphology. Alas I wouldn't call myself either right now. I used OCR software to convert the scanned PDF into electronic text and then Google translate. Enough to get a general idea, but the translation needs polishing.

I made some preps on Moroccan matrices. Have a look here:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks Dr. Mud

I don't understand much French but the plates are priceless, and accurate. I learned a lot just looking.

Im new to the site, couldn't see 

abyssunder - Moroccan matrices image, just a grey picture box?

Topic sounds interesting though- thank you all the same.

Hi,and welcome

Coco,Fifbrindacier and yours truly (and probably several others) are fluent in French

Arambourg's taxa (might)have been revised,in fact ,given the typological approach in selachian taxonomy,that is very probable

Hi, 

thank you ,will check that out! 

Yes I am really a Prof of English Literature, my BA is in Humanities, Masters in Education.

Fortunately I had a good dose of Geology and Astronomy at U of Texas Austin, along with some Archaeology in Winchester,England.

I made a good living as  photo journalist for 20 years in NYC, but for the last 10 years Im teaching here in Manhattan.

Fossils are a long held passion for me , I just never pursued it. 

Are you in Germany? What part ? What fossils have you been able to collect? Do you go excavate for fossils?

All best,

PS 

The site is a must--Im going this fall, before the cold weather , thank you 

On 8/18/2017 at 8:37 AM, ProfLeighton said:

Im new to the site, couldn't see 

abyssunder - Moroccan matrices image, just a grey picture box?

Topic sounds interesting though- thank you all the same.

If you click on the grey picture box you will enter the topic.

Also, you could check My Library below. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived