Aysheaia from the Wheeler Formation is not a lobopodian

piranha

Instead it is now classified as the frontal appendage of the anomalocaridid: Stanleycaris sp.

Pates, S., Daley, A.C., & Ortega-Hernández, J. (2017)

Aysheaia prolata from the Utah Wheeler Formation (Drumian, Cambrian) is a frontal appendage of the radiodontan Stanleycaris.

Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 62:1-7  PDF LINK

Paper establishing Stanleycaris hirpex as a new genus and species:

Caron, J.B., Gaines, R.R., Mángano, M.G., Streng, M., & Daley, A.C. (2010)

A new Burgess Shale–type assemblage from the “thin” Stephen Formation of the southern Canadian Rockies.

Geological Society of America, Geology, 38(9):811-814  PDF LINK    SUPPLEMENTAL PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I wonder if this will have an impact on the validity of other lobopods...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I wonder if this will have an impact on the validity of other lobopods...

At a minimum, please read the abstract.  It has nothing to do with validity of other lobopods.  

14 minutes ago, piranha said:

At a minimum, please read the abstract.  It has nothing to do with validity of other lobopods.  

Yes I read the abstract. I just remember there being debate with other lobopods over them possibly being limbs, if one was proven to be one I was wondering if others would follow.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

What I'm seeing is the Aysheaia from Burgess is still Aysheaia, it's just the specimen(s) from the Wheeler that initially were ID'd as Aysheaia are now recognized as appendages.

Interesting stuff... Goes to show how difficult this stuff can be to interpret, I guess.

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

What I'm seeing is the Aysheaia from Burgess is still Aysheaia, it's just the specimen(s) from the Wheeler that initially were ID'd as Aysheaia are now recognized as appendages.

Interesting stuff... Goes to show how difficult this stuff can be to interpret, I guess.

Bingo!  I edited the thread title, to avoid any future ambiguity.