Bandringa adults?

Ash

Heya guys,

I read about Bandringa adults being found but can't find any pics of adults, anyone have any?

Cheers.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Zangerl, R. (1969)

Bandringa rayi: A new ctenacanthoid shark from the Pennsylvanian Essex Fauna of Illinois.

Fieldiana Geology, Field Museum of Natural History, 12(10):157-169  LINK

Sallan, L.C., & Coates, M.I. (2014)

The long-rostrumed elasmobranch Bandringa Zangerl, 1969, and taphonomy within a Carboniferous shark nursery.

Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 34(1):22-33  LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Here is a pic of one that a fossil collecting partner of mine found near the Tipple Hill of Pit 11 about 30 years ago.

IMG_5818.thumb.JPG.508675e5e26b0c27157c192a379ccdea.JPG

5 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Here is a pic of one that a fossil collecting partner of mine found near the Tipple Hill of Pit 11 about 30 years ago.

IMG_5818.thumb.JPG.508675e5e26b0c27157c192a379ccdea.JPG

Thats an awesome specimen. :wub:

Now That's a beautiful shark:envy:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I want one.....:envy:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

I will try to find another picture of it- I know I have a couple around the house- this is the only one that I have personally seen and cannot recall any other collector that I have been out with that has found one. But such is the case with many Mazon Creek animals.

7 hours ago, ynot said:

What is the size of this beautiful fossil?

I forgot to mention that Tony, to concretion is about 3 1/2 - 4 " long.

That's a great specimen, but a fair bit short of the adults I'm seeking pics of.

Still, I greatly appreciate seeing that one,

Its beautiful!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Mazon creek was a breeding area for them, which accounts for the lack of adults, and there are few place quite like it where an adult would be preserved.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, piranha said:

IMG.thumb.jpg.be5e8a6789c340253ae1a35e9d11959d.jpg

In 1990 I got to see Rainer Zanerl talk at that years Mazon Creek Open House at Northeastern Illinois University, he was a very nice man.

Archived