Rocky Stoner

Hey folks, good day.

I found two more of the Dipleura dekayi  in the same spot as the other smaller cephalon found earlier. These are MUCH larger, I need to find a whole one !

There was also a pygidium (?) and a small eldredgeops cephalon all of these were within 2' of each other. Might be a "hot spot" !

Still a' chippin', one of these days .................

Kind regards,

:)

IMG_1.JPG

IMG_2.JPG

IMG_3.JPG

IMG_4.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

That's a beautiful cephalon, the big ones just around the corner, it must be with the amount and quality of the trilos you find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice finds! Keep looking! A nice big fat one should be there some where!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

You're finding your stride with your location, Rocky. 

Doing really well, too. :) 

Congratulations on the cool finds. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for looking guys ! I hope to dig into this new spot a bit over the coming weekend.

The shale here comes out in relatively small chunks. Luckily, these finds so far have been barely in the chunk. Everything is "near the edge". Odds are if I find a complete specimen, it will be interrupted by a natural joint in the shale.

I hate it when that happens ! :angry:

Hopefully, will have more to post soon.

Kindest regards,

8 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

You're finding your stride with your location, Rocky. 

Doing really well, too. :) 

Congratulations on the cool finds. 

Regards,

Hey Tim, thanks.

I have the external mold of the cephalon too. I haven't washed, or brushed it out yet but am wondering ... What sort of eyes should be there ?

Evidently, nothing like the eldredgeops. Looks like maybe just a "bump" from what I have searched online.

I'll wash it out tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics.

Thanks again my friend,

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

Rocky, 

Yes, I believe that they are usually little more than a nub on top of a larger bump on the cephalon. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's a great looking cephalon! Keep up the hunt! Good luck.

:trilowalk:

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

The nose is intact on that first specimen. More often then not they're damaged. Good find and congratulations.

Great Dipleura cephalon, Rocky - a true keeper! Dipleura can be tough to find whole, but here's hoping you will. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks Kane.

Actually, I'm not expecting to find a complete one here.

Bits n' pieces abound, but after 47 (yea, I'm still counting, snarge the jinx) there has been no sign of anything more than moults .. except for one partial eldredgeops that I found along the road to my mailbox. (haven't pulled any more chunks from that area .... yet)^_^

Still chippin' along. As always, thanks to all for the support and encouragement,

On 8/18/2017 at 1:05 AM, Jeffrey P said:

The nose is intact on that first specimen. More often then not they're damaged. Good find and congratulations.

Thanks Jeffrey P.

The tip of the nose was right at the edge of the natural fracture of the shale, as well as the right and left sides. I was very fortunate with this one.

Kind regards.