More Mazon Creek Duds?

Rockpit

DSC01542.thumb.JPG.9a4fba6ad45daac00e63360e818389a7.JPGDSC01547.thumb.JPG.24930c3779b8bddf829506dfab2c7490.JPGI went fossil hunting again Tuesday and, while I think I am getting more discerning about what I pick up, I still do not know if what I found is a fossil or just an interestingly weathered rock. This is the condition in which I found it.  If these are not fossils I think I may change my name to Dud-ley Do Wrong. 

I wonder if something is under the bottom half.  Is there a trick in getting the thin layer off?  Should I freeze/thaw it?  I found this one as is.

DSC01574.JPG

Tha calcite can be removed with vinegar soak and scrubbing.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Unfortunately you have to battle through dozens (and dozens sometimes) of duds to get a decent fossil. It can get tiresome!!! Even with a good sized haul of really nice looking concretions we hope for one or two nice fossils. Seems like the pits which were more terrestrial yield way more fossils per concretion. Pit 11 is flat loaded with nodules but so many blobs or unidentifiable stains. It pays off when you get a nice shrimp or worm or partial tully though.

Thanks for the advice and opinions.  Even though I haven't found much I do enjoy the hunt.  I guess a low yield makes you appreciate what you find.  I was hoping the straight line in the photos in my first post meant something but I had a feeling it wasn't anything since I couldn't find anything like it online or in the books.  Oh, well.  I guess I will have to keep looking for a clean and clear fossil!

1 minute ago, Rockpit said:

Thanks for the advice and opinions.  Even though I haven't found much I do enjoy the hunt.  I guess a low yield makes you appreciate what you find.  I was hoping the straight line in the photos in my first post meant something but I had a feeling it wasn't anything since I couldn't find anything like it online or in the books.  Oh, well.  I guess I will have to keep looking for a clean and clear fossil!

You never know, sometimes the dirty, murky fossils turn out to be the best!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 8/17/2017 at 8:17 PM, Rockpit said:

DSC01542.thumb.JPG.9a4fba6ad45daac00e63360e818389a7.JPGDSC01547.thumb.JPG.24930c3779b8bddf829506dfab2c7490.JPGI went fossil hunting again Tuesday and, while I think I am getting more discerning about what I pick up, I still do not know if what I found is a fossil or just an interestingly weathered rock. This is the condition in which I found it.  If these are not fossils I think I may change my name to Dud-ley Do Wrong. 

This one is suggestive of being a Pecopteris or maybe Neuropteris fern.  I think I can even see some of the vein structure in the upper right of the first photo but it's too weathered fo a definite ID.

• I found this Informative 2

When it caught my attention from afar it looked like a fern. Whether you can seen any details depends on how you tilt it. I can see what you mean about the upper right.  I cropped another5998f4f675871_DSC01599(2).thumb.jpg.8afa8ef3858991d559f83e76eecffb2b.jpg photo showing this but you lose detail as you zoom in. 

1 hour ago, Rockpit said:

When it caught my attention from afar it looked like a fern. Whether you can seen any details depends on how you tilt it. I can see what you mean about the upper right.  I cropped another5998f4f675871_DSC01599(2).thumb.jpg.8afa8ef3858991d559f83e76eecffb2b.jpg photo showing this but you lose detail as you zoom in. 

I was zooming in at the lower edge of what you show here.  I've zoomed in and sharpened the photo to exaggerate the contrast.  Not much to see, but based on that, I would guess Pectopteris, but that's just a guess.

Fern.jpg.f4ca0600fedbcf2b6437a8e27f08bee5.jpg

59990d8f0dda5_FernID.thumb.JPG.81807a4b2077df1c8db0641f050328ae.JPG

10 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Steve,how recent is that "taxonomic key?"

If you don't mind my asking?

I'm petty sure I got it from a link someone posted on a thread here.  Sorry I don't have any more info right at hand but let me poke around and see what I can find.

2 hours ago, doushantuo said:

No,don't bother.

I just was trying to think of something better than the piece you posted

If yo do a search on "pecopteris vs neuropteris" in Google, that link is the first to come up.  I didn't immediately see anything better.