Found This in a Remote Beach in Oman

ABM_

Hello everyone, it's my first post here. 

Recently around the Gulf at Muscat, Oman, I found this tube-like structure bind strongly to a rock after some digging with my hands under the water on a remote small beach (no signs of previous visits there.) There's no sand on that shore, instead a coarse-sand-like nature of very small shell and rock fragments. The start of this tubular structure is very narrow, and its radius increases as it appears to curl in a life-like form of some organism. Unfortunately the top appears missing when I found it.

20170818_131313.jpg

20170817_233241.jpg

1 minute ago, ABM_ said:

Thanks for the responses, and @Foozil modern to what scale? Days? Months?

A bit out of my league to tell how many days old it is :mellow:

7 minutes ago, ABM_ said:

Thanks for the responses, and @Foozil modern to what scale? Days? Months?

A bit out of my league to tell how many days old it is :mellow: could be anywhere from a week old to hundreds of years old, all i know is its not a fossil. 

Edit: sorry posted twice 

It's a cool conversation piece, I'd pop it on the table. For the future if you intend to go fossil hunting in Oman again here is a geologic map.

IMG_2848.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, ABM_ said:

@WhodamanHD Thanks for that!

No problem, happy to help! I don't know how old it is so there may be some inaccuracies. Do you have a geologic map for Saudi Arabia? I can find one as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

11 minutes ago, ABM_ said:

@WhodamanHD Actually I don't; maps on Google are somehow contradicting

Well it seems that original data is not accurate, probably someone seeing one type of rock in one place, another twenty miles away and drawing a line in between rather than actually finding the boundaries, must not have had the resources. The Saudi geologic survey seems to be reworking this though, the generalized ones on here should suffice till the better one is completed. Using this and then look for places with exposed rock (like that mountain, or deep cutting rivers, canyons be careful though!) and fossils should be found although not always. I don't know fossil/antiquity laws or property laws there but they should be abided by. Look for sedimentary rocks like shale, sandstone, limestone, and so on and so forth. Good luck!

http://www.sgs.org.sa/English/Geology/Phanerozoic/Pages/default.aspx

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived