Some type of Crystal?

Darko

I found these pieces in a Cement Marl Stone near fossilized shells,can anyone tell me what is this? :D

WP_20170818_19_11_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20170818_19_12_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20170818_19_13_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20170818_19_14_24_Pro.jpg

Probably calcite.

Take a small amount of the crystal and smash it to powder. Then put a drop of vinegar on it. If it fizzes it is calcite.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hi Darko! Sorry, but id it possible for you to post brighter images, more clearer images?

As far as I know, the yellow stuff on the rocks are druzy crystals, but identfying exactly what could use some testing. As ynot said above, you could try to take a crystal, grind it, and out vinegar over it and see if it fizzles (means its calcite).

Or you can try a hardness test by scratching it with a knife and other materials. 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

Probably calcite.

Take a small amount of the crystal and smash it to powder. Then put a drop of vinegar on it. If it fizzes it is calcite.

Yeah,you're right! I tried with the vinegar and it really fizzes! Thanks for help!

Sorry,but I have bad cam.

Btw,I tried and it works! :D

Btw the Mark is calcium carbonate and when water seeped through it dissolves it, and in fissures it leaves small amounts that crystallize over time. If you put vinegar on any Marl it will fizzle and dissolve, unless it has some other minerals in it that prevent it from doing so. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

23 hours ago, Darko said:

Yeah,you're right! I tried with the vinegar and it really fizzes! Thanks for help!

So calcite it is. Nice find!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png