The Macroconch to the Microconch

Ludwigia

A few weeks back I posted a report here about a nice little microconch that I got from my paleontologist friend in exchange for some prep work I'm doing for him. I recently recieved another parcel full of work and also some goodies for myself to be prepped. This time he included the macroconch to that little microconch for me. It took me a good 10 hours to get it prepped, since the matrix was pretty tough and there was also a lot of minerological and shell debris that could only be removed mainly with the air abrader at high pressure in an excruciatingly slow motion process, but now that it's done, I'm as pleased as punch, particularly since the shell is extremely well conserved on the one side and all of the spines came out intact. One can also see the end of the phragmocone clearly on the steinkern on the reverse side, which shows that this sample is almost completely full sized. It comes from the early Bajocian discites zone in the Beaminster area in Dorset, whereas the little one is from Sherborne and comes out of the next youngest laeviuscula zone, which shows that the species was around for a good few thousand years.

A1321f.thumb.jpg.e5dcaa6ca4c9e8a2522b1430bb21ae72.jpg

A1321b.thumb.jpg.f2cddf7ef90673bd00a231b0d04f66b5.jpg

A1321c.thumb.jpg.0a6271938c795604f9317781a10b370a.jpg

A1321d.thumb.jpg.3dedc3444b5f613e55b7fbf4358ffa50.jpg

And here's the pair together.

5997450a3d5c7_A1321e1305.thumb.jpg.7b88dc3032dd13ca0e58a3863fd840a9.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Cool fossils! I like both ammonites btw

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

On 8/19/2017 at 0:03 AM, Ludwigia said:

Thanks. How's life on the island?

Great , had a trip to Texada Island Saturday with the local fossil group. Lots of blow downs on the creek so lots of bushwhacking and boulder hopping. 4 out of 5 found ammonites, also shark coprolites, gastropods. Left home at 4:50 am got home 10:30 pm,long day, still feeling it but  it was on my list of sites to hit this summer, my 4th trip there in 25 years.

Cephalopods rule!!

5 hours ago, fossisle said:

Great , had a trip to Texada Island Saturday with the local fossil group. Lots of blow downs on the creek so lots of bushwhacking and boulder hopping. 4 out of 5 found ammonites, also shark coprolites, gastropods. Left home at 4:50 am got home 10:30 pm,long day, still feeling it but  it was on my list of sites to hit this summer, my 4th trip there in 25 years.

Just got your report. Thanks very much! Glad to see you're having fun.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Archived