T-Rex or Nanotyrannus tooth - thoughts?

Buffalo Jake

Good afternoon all, I wanted to get some opinions on determining if a tooth I am thinking about purchasing is either a T-Rex, or a Nanotyrannus tooth. I will post some pictures of the tooth, and supply what information I know about it.

• The tooth is 1" long, with a round cross section.

• Robust serrations.

• Found in the Hell Creek Formation, Powder      River County, Montana.

Due to the round cross section and serrations, I have been leaning towards classifying it as a T-Rex tooth. I'm very interested to hear member thoughts.

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

I think @Troodon must be preoccupied, as he has indeed been absent for a month. So we may be on our own for this one. To start off, Nanotyrannus is thought to be a young tyrannosaurus by most, and the main difference concerns the number of teeth. I think both have virtually indistinguishable teeth (although maybe someone knows a way). It does look like an authentic and rather nice tyrannosaur tooth.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

My Nanotyrannus teeth have more of a rectangular cross section, and this tooth has a round cross section. Hence the reason I was leaning towards T-Rex.

@hxmendoza

I am leaning towards T-Rex as it does look robust. Let's see what others say. Here's my tooth that was initially sold as Nanotyrannus but later ID-ed as Rex.

5997993497199_Rex_Baby1.thumb.jpg.672e62196eda022ffaf415dc8e8be4ae.jpg

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

To start off, Nanotyrannus is thought to be a young tyrannosaurus by most, and the main difference concerns the number of teeth. I think both have virtually indistinguishable teeth (although maybe someone knows a way). It does look like an authentic and rather nice tyrannosaur tooth.

Nope. T-Rex vs Nanotyrannus is still a hot topic of contention. But I can assure you the majority of dealers do put a distinction between Rex and Nano, with Rex fetching several times the price. Here are my teeth. Nano has a narrower cross section, and is much less robust than Rex.

599799f5e6f97_Rex_Baby4.thumb.jpg.8f77daff91fa3046f0688af3a42852f6.jpg 59979b0b43b42_RexvsNano.thumb.jpg.6be2aff8fb41737bef12344ddd3e440c.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

It's an anterior tooth. Though small, it has more of the proportions of a juvenile T. rex tooth. Anterior Nanotyrannus teeth can be more noticeably inflated than the lateral teeth, but this one has a pretty robust round cross section, so I'm going to go with juvenile T. rex tooth. It's teeth like these that I think academic paeontologists overlook in the debate between Nanotyrannus and T. rex. Juvenile rex teeth that are noticeably robust compared to Nanotyrannus teeth from the same or fairly similar jaw position.

I'm still drooling :drool: over @-Andy-'s :trex:teeth. I had to hit the replay and slow motion button twice on those. WOOOWZERS!

:envy: 

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Try posting a picture of the base, that may help in the ID. Leaning towards Rex as well because if the robustness of the tooth.

Thanks for all of the replies to this topic. However, I procrastinated too long and missed out on that tooth. Lesson learned haha....

Archived