Kane

Just got back and am beat from a day at Arkona. This one is a bit strange. Just when I think I've seen every odd pattern, ichnofossil, mineralization, and concretion type in the Widder shale, I get a curveball. Or should I say a snowflake?. :P

specs: Mid Devonian (Widder Fm). Arkona, Ontario. About an inch. 

I can't seem to find it, so this pic was taken in the field. I might have lost it. :( 

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I dont know my Devonian from a hole in the ground, but it does look interesting.  Im gunna call it a 'thing-a-majiggy'.   :)

RB

Looks like an algae to me, shame you can't find it.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It seems to have a good deal of 3D relief which would me make me doubt small Devonian plant. Could it be a very regular chondrites trace fossil?

Upon finding out what hederella is, I now agree with that, seeing as it seems to be attached to something as they usually are.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks, all! I hadn't considered hederella at all, but it very much seems to be the case. :fistbump: 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Raise your hand if you probably have a bunch and didn't know it. :)

I'm gonna go looking now

Archived