Tex

My son found these on the DPS trip to Oliver Creek. The hand out that shows some of what you can find list Epiaster Whitei. My son is giving the bigger one to his school science teacher to go in the classroom with the ammonite already there, so I need to make sure I put the proper information on the identification card I'm sending with it, so can anyone say for sure what these are? Thank you. 

echinoid 1.jpg

echinoid 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Tex said:

My son found these on the DPS trip to Oliver Creek. The hand out that shows some of what you can find list Epiaster Whitei. My son is giving the bigger one to his school science teacher to go in the classroom with the ammonite already there, so I need to make sure I put the proper information on the identification card I'm sending with it, so can anyone say for sure what these are? Thank you. 

echinoid 1.jpg

echinoid 2.jpg

I'm not an expert but it does look like a good match with Epiaster Whitei.  

Great. Thank you. If no one else says other wise, I'll go with that. I have to have it made up tonight, so he can take it to school in the morning. 

1 hour ago, Tex said:

Great. Thank you. If no one else says other wise, I'll go with that. I have to have it made up tonight, so he can take it to school in the morning. 

Here is a good photo you can use as a reference:

http://paleoportal.org/index.php?globalnav=fossil_gallery&sectionnav=detail&submission_id=568&taxon_id=58&state_id=&period_id=&assemblage_id=&last_section=search

57739_submission_image_568_medium.jpg

This is the identification card I made (well, while I was at my moms, I had her write them since she has prettier handwriting than I do). 

IMG_4767.JPG

10 hours ago, Tex said:

This is the identification card I made (well, while I was at my moms, I had her write them since she has prettier handwriting than I do). 

IMG_4767.JPG

Beautiful urchins!  And your son is very generous to donate one to his teacher's classroom - I'm sure it will be much appreciated!!!  (I'm a science teacher, too, and I would love a gift like this from one of my students!!!  Perhaps in the future... :P)

I just wanted to mention something that stuck in my mind from my days at university long ago.  When writing an organism's binomial name, there are some rules to follow:

- The genus is capitalized while the species name is not

- Both the genus and species should either be italicized or underlined

- For example, your urchin's name would be written as: Epiaster whitei or Epiaster whitei

Happy hunting!

Monica

Thank you for the tip. We already sent it, but I'll keep that in mind for next time. 

He actually picked out the best ones he had. One for my girlfriend, one for his home room teacher, and one for his science teacher. 

Oh. But for the science teacher, I let him swap out for one I had that was in a little better shape. 

6 hours ago, Tex said:

He actually picked out the best ones he had. One for my girlfriend, one for his home room teacher, and one for his science teacher. 

Oh. But for the science teacher, I let him swap out for one I had that was in a little better shape. 

That's very sweet of him!  You've obviously raised a great young man - well done! :)

Archived