Anyone have any photos of the mines in Morocco

Doctor Mud

I have a project on the go at the moment sorting through 1000s of fossil shark teeth from Morocco to make artificial tooth sets. Thanks to everyone who helped supply them.

Well - I realised the actual process from the teeth being extracted to the end buyer is a bit of a mystery to me.

What do the deposits look like in the quarry? What does the average collector go through to collect the teeth?

What is the typical chain of transactions that occurs on the way out of the mines and Morocco. I've heard that you can buy outside the mines, and I've also heard that the locals are very protective of their mark-up so may like to protect the chain of transactions so everyone gets a cut.

I'd love to hear about what people know about this - especially those who have visited Morocco. I would also love to see photos of the mines and of people collecting the teeth. I've found one or two photos on the net, but I bet there are more out there......

It would add to my experience of collecting and handling these fossils.

Thanks!

There have been a couple of field trip reports that covered that part of the world, with nice pictures of the formations and dig sites.

Sounds like a big project because, from what I have heard here , they do not try to keep the information with the fossils.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 20, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Doctor Mud said:

I have a project on the go at the moment sorting through 1000s of fossil shark teeth from Morocco to make artificial tooth sets. Thanks to everyone who helped supply them.

Well - I realised the actual process from the teeth being extracted to the end buyer is a bit of a mystery to me.

What do the deposits look like in the quarry? What does the average collector go through to collect the teeth?

What is the typical chain of transactions that occurs on the way out of the mines and Morocco. I've heard that you can buy outside the mines, and I've also heard that the locals are very protective of their mark-up so may like to protect the chain of transactions so everyone gets a cut.

I'd love to hear about what people know about this - especially those who have visited Morocco. I would also love to see photos of the mines and of people collecting the teeth. I've found one or two photos on the net, but I bet there are more out there......

It would add to my experience of collecting and handling these fossils.

Thanks!

Doctor Mud,

You should look for this:

Case, G.R. 1974.

Fossil collecting in Morocco, North Africa. Earth Science. January/February 1974.

Let's see if anyone has a PDF of it.

Jess

Archived