caldigger

Successful Experiment

ynot

Nice experiment.

Really shows how quick a bone can get to look like a fossil.

FossilDudeCO

Oh wow!!

That is crazy, not long at all!

Jesuslover340

I'm  curious if it changed the weight at all?

LordTrilobite

Pretty uncanny. I'm interested to hear about the weight as well. Or maybe the hot needle of lick test.

caldigger

Well I'm not going to attempt to lick it or burn it...we already know it isn't old. I don't believe the weight really changed at all.

The whole purpose behind the project was to prove it takes no time at all for nature to give the appearance of age. So the other tests should be utilized to prove actual aging rather than taking physical appearance as an indicator.

Olaf, if you like, you are welcome to lick it to your hearts content. I saw the rotted carcases from which they came. Yuck!

Pagurus

Thanks for that useful experiment. It looks like it belongs in a museum display. I never would have guessed the animal died just this past winter. Interesting.

Malcolmt

Thank you for sharing... learn something new everyday. Now all I have to do is find my first bone......

FossilDudeCO

Mail it this way, I'll lick it.

It might be a bit overcooked for my tastes though :P

aplomado

One month!  I would not have guessed.

caldigger

I did another batch with the leg bone (bovine) from the comparison picture above and two jaws, a deer and most probably a squirrel.  I forgot to snap a picture of them before shipping out. Now just awaiting Blake @FossilDudeCO to post a picture. I left them in the "solution" ( water and dried leaves) for five weeks this time. The leg bone, given its thickness, took a bit longer to soak up the color.

Brazos Aaron

That is amazing!  Thank you so much for doing this experiment. 

Ludwigia
On 23.8.2017 at 1:10 AM, caldigger said:

So the other tests should be utilized to prove actual aging rather than taking physical appearance as an indicator.

Me being not a bone man, it sure would interest me to see a list of these tests.

Uncle Siphuncle

On bones for which I can't readily ascertain age, I'll first tap on it with a rock and listen to the sound signature.  High pitched and glassy implies mineralization, while a dull thud often implies recent.  Next comes destructive testing.  I'll sometimes snap a little piece off of a worn area.  If it bends before breaking, it still has collagen remaining and is therefore recent.  If brittle fracture results, I reason that collagen has leached out, and I also gain a peek at cross sectional wall thickness, and can glean additional info such as how deep surface stain has penetrated.  All these factors together give me a better feel for age.  I tend not to do the burn test personally, as all burning bones stink to me, and my stink-o-meter must be out of calibration.

fossilus

One thing that I've found is that sometimes even clearly identifiable extinct fossil bones (mammoth or mastodon) have little or no mineralization.  I've found elephant vertebrae that are as little mineralized as the cow that died in last years flood.

RJB

Very interesting!

RB

KimTexan

That’s fascinating how they change color.

Nimravis

Very nice Doren