sharko69

Sister called and asked to take my son for the day and my wife said she had things to do so I took that as my cue to head out to the creek. I really wanted to hit the North Sulphur with all the rain and missed my chance Friday morning with the water still being a bit high for my taste, but I didn't have that kind of time. My wish list for the day consisted of any artifact and a new type of Ptychodus from the bucket list.

I headed to a spot I have only hit a couple of times and after working my way down through all of the muck from the flooding, I finally hit a gravel bar. The first bar provided a couple of broken Cretodus and one small Ptychodus. There were absolutely no foot prints in the fresh deep mud so I was excited to work my way downstream. I was a little disappointed after the first half hour and only a few broken teeth but as I worked my way downstream it improved. Found several nice P. whipplei and then a very cool point, a scraper, and a very nice what I am guessing is a plesiosaur tooth (which I have in the ID forum). Not on the list but one I would gladly add if I had known it was a possibility. Found some bison teeth and lots of bone as well as one  very nice Cretodus lateral tooth. I really wanted to stay longer but had to make it back home for my "curfew". Overall a good two hours and I am sure the best was left behind. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

You did great. I like the old knife artifact and the scraper. 

What an incredible haul!!! :faint:

Could you please explain a bit more about the bones in the back? As in what animals?

Well done,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I believe the long bone is deer, there is a deer toe bone, and knuckle, and a couple cow or bison bones the other two. On the left are a couple chunkasaurus, probably mosasaur bone chunks.

7 hours ago, sharko69 said:

I believe the long bone is deer, there is a deer toe bone, and knuckle, and a couple cow or bison bones the other two. On the left are a couple chunkasaurus, probably mosasaur bone chunks.

Awesome!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

So many cow bones in that spot. A meat processing place once dumped remains there from what I"m told. 

1 hour ago, JarrodB said:

So many cow bones in that spot. A meat processing place once dumped remains there from what I"m told. 

There are plenty of butchered bones down there. I heard the same thing. You can usually tell the butchered. 

I was out there on Sunday as well.  From what I was told by someone who had been out there the week before, all that rain led to about a 15 ft. rise in the creek.  I didn't doubt that as my favorite bars no longer existed and a lot of the gravel had been spread out as far as the eye could see.  Some of my best finds were about 2-3 ft. under the water (was sifting gravel).  Love that point and scraper you found.

On 8/22/2017 at 7:55 PM, John S. said:

Very good finds at the POC:dinothumb:

Thanks John. Hard to keep up with you.

Archived