South Carolina fossils/shark teeth locations

Gtrex0823

I live in South Carolina and was wondering if anyone knows of any good locations to find fossils or shark teeth here. I've heard that Summerville has some good spots but I haven't been able to find any specific locations. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, Gtrex0823 said:

I live in South Carolina and was wondering if anyone knows of any good locations to find fossils or shark teeth here. I've heard that Summerville has some good spots but I haven't been able to find any specific locations. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks

@Gtrex0823

Look under SC here on TFF in Fossil Trips or do a search for SC here on TFF for other members' posts

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

• 2 weeks later...

Foley beach has lots of fossil bone and a few teeth. I just spent a day there on the 20th. We found about 3 or 4 teeth each, but met a local who found more than 100 in a day once. Walked from the big hotel south to the tip of the island.

• 3 weeks later...

I will tell you this. Many people have put in many hours and miles to find what they are looking for. Not to mention studying geo maps etc....Look on google maps, look for streams, and then drive in the area you mentioned and look for deep ditches. Thats what I did and it got me started thinking further. Good luck.

I'll be up front about this issue: as I represent the Mace Brown Museum of NH on this forum, museum policy prevents me from sharing our locality information to keep those localities safe AND not ###### off collectors who donate fossils to us.

Your best bet is to look for a geological map of the area showing the age of exposures you hope to find and to correlate that with either township maps, Google maps, Google Earth, or a mixture of all three to find a location. You may also have to ask around for private property permission. Many people that pursue this passion have had to put in a lot of legwork to find the 'honey' spots they have, and many have been stabbed in the back for having tried helping a new person to find a few fossils of their own. As such, many are unwilling to give away any private good spots-perhaps only publicly known and accessible ones. But at such areas, you'll have a fair amount of competition with people that are looking to make a quick find without putting in a lot of personal research. So I would look into doing some research if you plan to make this a commonplace hobby :) That being said, if you need help with such research, feel free to shoot me a pm and I'll give you a few pointers :)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Summerville is a good area to hunt but keep in mind there are ABSOLUTELY no tools allowed in search of them. I personally have never had any run in with the police concerning this issue but I've heard of people being stopped before. 

With that being said you may be hard pressed to get an exact digging location in the lowcountry, those sites are difficult to come by and the amount of research that goes into it can be exhausting. Not to mention the miles of walking that can be involved in finding a good spot. 

You're close enough to NC that I would highly recommend looking into the NC Fossil Club. They do a lot of trips throughout the year to various locations between NC and SC, also look into volunteering for a museum. They can be a wealth of knowledge. There is also a club in the lowcountry, The Palmetto Paleontological Society I think is the name of it. Networking on a number of the facebook groups scattered around could benefit you as well. Hope some of this helps!

The Palmetto group is having a club meeting in a few weeks. Look up the facebook group - that's where everyone plans things.

• 1 year later...