Here's A Strange 'un

Ron E.

Boone Limestone, early Missisippian:

post-1880-1248008714_thumb.jpg post-1880-1248008728_thumb.jpg post-1880-1248008741_thumb.jpg

That third image is super hi-res, don't download unless you're on a fast connection.

Rock is 10" x 7". Each little groove is a tad less than a millimeter.

Coral? Pseudofossil?

to me, this looks more like the pattern in the rock..

if you look below the main line, you can see a very small section similar to the big line... It looks like that is just what the rock is...

is the rock limestone?

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

to me, this looks more like the pattern in the rock..

if you look below the main line, you can see a very small section similar to the big line... It looks like that is just what the rock is...

is the rock limestone?

Yep, and unique. I've seen lots of limestone around here, nothing like this.

It looks very familiar to me... im getting out my books!

Hmm... the left side of the rock looks more crystalline than the right side... perhaps it could be a type of coral? (though ive never seen any coral like this)..

im just trying to figure out how those lines were formed... because each line connects with a little bump on the surface... and the entire surface has those, so the entire rock (at least the right half) should be composed of this... it looks very much like the basalt formations, but its certainly not dark enough and you said it was limestone... hmmm

im just trying to figure out how those lines were formed... because each line connects with a little bump on the surface... and the entire surface has those, so the entire rock (at least the right half) should be composed of this... it looks very much like the basalt formations, but its certainly not dark enough and you said it was limestone... hmmm

We have sandstone structures in NWA south of Fayetteville that resemble miniature Devil's Towers (36" wide or so, a few inches tall, coming right out of the ground), but they are made of good old sedimentary sandstone. Nothing to do with this particular specimen, but interesting, nonetheless.

Possibly a little gypsum influence?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

We find similar cross sections here in the Cretaceous on Vancouver Island and it is the shell of a large Inoceramid.

Cephalopods rule!!

Guest solius symbiosus

It kind of looks like a styolites(dissolution structure), but I have never seen them in those lengths.

its the entire rock, not just a single line... that is what is throwing me off. haha.

auspex... ive never seen gypsum do that. haha. then again... it has done some pretty weird things...

Boone Limestone, early Missisippian:

post-1880-1248008714_thumb.jpg post-1880-1248008728_thumb.jpg post-1880-1248008741_thumb.jpg

That third image is super hi-res, don't download unless you're on a fast connection.

Rock is 10" x 7". Each little groove is a tad less than a millimeter.

Coral? Pseudofossil?

I think it looks like a coral to me. I am not shur of the speicies but i find ones like this all the time.

When you view then from the sides it looks like yours does.

post-1179-1248051845_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Not slickenside, where would the movement come from. The area below the elongated structures show classic styolites surfaces.

I see this pattern often in the Austin chalk formations. Mostly when I see it, it's from a thick shelled clam found here that has had the shell replaced with striated calcium deposits. Perhaps this is an imprint from one of these?

post-1882-1248067967_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1248067991_thumb.jpg

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Pardon my 'basic ' understanding of Geological terms.... I think its a natural fissure that has formed and has allowed the formation of a crystal structure made from dissolved elements contained in the rock itself....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

slickenside

more

This is very common in Texas, Hyway 35 going into Bell County from the south has some and over in Killeen also. You may also find these forming in clay here, mainly when Calcite fills in the cracks. Common in the Garyson Formation again along 35. What am I talking about, I had to clean the stuff out of my water heater once a month when living there!

slickenside

more

This is very common in Texas, Hyway 35 going into Bell County from the south has some and over in Killeen also. You may also find these forming in clay here, mainly when Calcite fills in the cracks. Common in the Garyson Formation again along 35. What am I talking about, I had to clean the stuff out of my water heater once a month when living there!

As I understand it, this forms along a single fissure?

This rock is entirely composed of these parallel structures, sort of like a big honeycomb.

Glad the experts are as stumped as I! Now I feel a little less dumb :blink:

They are slickensides or calcite crystal growth within the limestones. I see them alot in the limestone of my area. On a previous post of mine i uploaded similar pictures of this kind of limestone. They are not fossils, but still very interesting.

Looks like vertosol = "Clay soils with shrink-swell properties that exhibit strong cracking when dry and at depth have slickensides and/or lenticular structural aggregates. "

A slickenside in this usage is "a surface of the cracks produced in soils containing a high proportion of swelling clays", i.e. a vertosol. ;)

In other words: Yea, what JB and them said. :D

As I understand it, this forms along a single fissure?

This rock is entirely composed of these parallel structures, sort of like a big honeycomb.

Glad the experts are as stumped as I! Now I feel a little less dumb :blink:

Experts? It's not that hard to understand, just follow the construction companies building the road systems here in Central Texas and and you figure it out.

if you look carefully, "zoomed in", at the third hi-res picture, you will note that the "bottoms" of the striations look faint as if the impressions are just beginning, and the top of the striations look deeper and "gouged" into the rock, with little lips of material that were pushed outward. to me this is indicative that there was pressure against the rock in question as it slipped downward or the rock pressing against it slipped upward. carefully examined, i see every reason to believe the impressions were mechanically created and no reason to believe that they were organically or chemically created.

its the entire rock, not just a single line... that is what is throwing me off. haha.

auspex... ive never seen gypsum do that. haha. then again... it has done some pretty weird things...

In S. Florida we occasionally run into Gypsum seams- lines of needlike xls that look similar to that. on the specimen below you can see that (in real life) by looking at the edge (unfortunately, my camera doesn't do well on things this small).

post-1313-1248089533_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.